cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Anything about this African Art Piece on Brown Paper

Found this at an auction and picked it up because it looks unique.  It looks like penciled art or a drawing on brown paper that is joined together.  From the backing it appears to be very old.  Any ideas?  Thanks a lot for anything at all.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help Anything about this African Art Piece on Brown Paper

@peggymorn wrote:

As far as the backing goes, I am assuming that it has always been like that --  so if it is as old as it looks, a lot of damage has already been done. 

It doesn't look like the original "art" is attached or glued to the backing. That just looks like a piece of cardboard placed on the back. While damage has been done, it will continue to slowly leech acid to the artwork until they both have the same level of acid content, I would imagine, like osmosis.

Another reason to remove the art is to be able to better inspect it, to see that it is indeed a pencil drawing and not a poster print.

If this is a valuable work of art, there are methods to reverse or neutralize the acid. A book binder or paper archivist would know whether what was possible for your piece.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@peggymorn wrote:
It looks like penciled art or a drawing

The image is certainly striking, but are you sure it's a drawing? It looks more like the reproduction of a photograph.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yes, Rockdale, your description is most accurate.  Almost looks like it was cut out of something in pieces and joined together.  The brown paper reminds me of the old brown grocery bags that had a seam that could be torn apart and flattened.   I hesitate to take the back of the picture off because the tacks holding it are so old.  Bending them will cause breakage, I am sure.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

What is your intention for this work of art? keep or sell?

The tailors paper on the back looks acid base, and will harm the artwork.

Hard to say from the photos if this is pencil, watercolor or photo/reproduction.

To remove the nails with out damaging the frame, pull them out with a pliers, not pulling towards out but in the direction of the nail, rather than bending it. If you decide to keep the art work, you may want to clean the glass, then mount the work to an acid free backing with mat, something that a framer easily can do for you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks so much for the information.  As far as the backing goes, I am assuming that it has always been like that --  so if it is as old as it looks, a lot of damage has already been done.  So glad you told me how to remove the little nails; I have ruined so many pictures by bending them upward. 

I am not sure what I will do with it --  guess it all depends upon what it turns out to be.  Thanks again.  Peggy

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@peggymorn wrote:

As far as the backing goes, I am assuming that it has always been like that --  so if it is as old as it looks, a lot of damage has already been done. 

It doesn't look like the original "art" is attached or glued to the backing. That just looks like a piece of cardboard placed on the back. While damage has been done, it will continue to slowly leech acid to the artwork until they both have the same level of acid content, I would imagine, like osmosis.

Another reason to remove the art is to be able to better inspect it, to see that it is indeed a pencil drawing and not a poster print.

If this is a valuable work of art, there are methods to reverse or neutralize the acid. A book binder or paper archivist would know whether what was possible for your piece.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I will take your advice and look for someone who is better able to take this apart and give it the care it needs.  Thanks to all so much.  Peggy

Message 7 of 7
latest reply