cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone provide any information about this Carl Weber print?

I fell in love with the blues and greens in this old print (lithograph?) by Carl Weber, but I can't find the identical image online.  The image is an unusual size and shape--wide and narrow at approx. 8" tall x 22" wide (though it's possible that this is due to how it is framed and matted).

Lower left corner says "Copyright 1903 by Jos Hoover and Son"

Lower right corner says Carl Weber

I apologize for poor image quality

Any information would be helpful, and if it has any value other than vintage colors, that would be great to know too 🙂

Thank you for your time!20170906_182256.jpg20170906_182242.jpg20170906_182248.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can anyone provide any information about this Carl Weber print?

You may not be able to tell because you have nothing to compare with, but your lithograph is badly faded which severly affects the value. The good news is that the frame is a nice simple design and in decent condition.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  Good points!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Carl Phillip Weber (American 1850-1921).

Debora

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Apologies. That's Carl Philipp Weber.

Debora
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This is a Chromolithograph.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you.  What I find puzzling is why--given that this is a copy and not an origial and  therefore, I assume, mass-produced--I can't find any other Carl Weber prints with this same scene/image on them when I do a Google image search.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@flower_singer wrote:

Thank you.  What I find puzzling is why--given that this is a copy and not an origial and  therefore, I assume, mass-produced--I can't find any other Carl Weber prints with this same scene/image on them when I do a Google image search.

If you haven't yet run across this interesting blog (link below) about Hoover, you might enjoy reading it, and I think it will help answer your question. 

Hoover printed for various publishers and became one of the biggest printers in the country, churning out 600K to 700K pieces a year, on many subjects by many artists, for a mass market.  These were made to sell for modest prices and were "disoposable," if I can out it that way.  I think Hoover was as big as currier & Ives, and bigger than Prang.  Given all that -- the quantity and the quality of the product -- it is unlikely that Hoover's entire output can ever be catalogued.

http://antiqueprintsblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/joseph-hoover-sons.html

Message 8 of 8
latest reply