cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what this is used for?

Ok.. I have identified the pattern and it was made from 1930 until the 80's so I suspect this is an earlier piece designed for some specific use that is no longer used.. could it be a gravy spoon of some sort? I looked at this patterns gravy boat and it has the standard spout (with attached plate) that you would use to pour from so that would seem redundant and if it was designed to sit into something it's not a long handle so it couldn't be anythingTaorminaRichardGinori5.jpg too deep. it's also not a spoon rest as I've seen those.. 

anyways... everyone here is so good at mysteries thought I would post and thanks in advance

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Anyone know what this is used for?

You didn't mention how big it is so I'm guessing it is a ladle rest - just like a spoon rest only bigger.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Oh sorry,

3" Across and 2.5" to the top of the handle 

too small for a ladle rest.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

As the prior poster said, we don't know it's size but it could be for syrup or butter.  I found one just like it with a different pattern.  The seller describes it as a trinket dish.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1115998518/richard-ginori-small-trinket-tray-with

Rita

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Looks like a trinket dish.
The upright handle where you place rings.
The tray would hold necklace/bracelets and such.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Large tea bag holder?

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

If it's a trinket dish, why would it have a pouring spout?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

I did a search and there was one on ebay but it's too old to pull up and it was listed as

Richard-Ginori-Italian-Fruits-Antico-Doccia-Long-Handled-Nut-Dish

s-l400.jpg

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I think its likely a "table butler" (there are other names, but that's what G'momma called them.) Small pan/dish meant to hold the crumbs and detritus you've swept off of a dining table or counter top. Fancy ones came with a pusher/rake thing to keep your hands clean. 

There are a few table accessories that come in and out of fashion over the years, many of which (as I suspect the case is here) for nostalgic & decorative purposes far more than their original duties. 

Hope this helps. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@highlander-girl,

Here's another possibility. This seller identified these as tastevins, or wine tasting dishes. I don't know if this right or not, just another possibility.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/richard-genori-wine-tasting-dishes-tastevin

image.png

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

EDIT: I just read your blurb. You say you know the pattern/maker? Have you tried replacements.com?

If its Ginori, you have a good shot of getting an answer soon. Reddit can also be a "source." Take it with massive grains of salt, as on here. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

What a wild (and totally plausible) thought! I'd never guess tastevins. 

I've never seen them that didn't look like they were used to baptize babies! Always silver, archaic/basic in decoration, and with a little "ear" off one side. Like it would keep your fingers right next to your mouth the whole time you were tasting. First time I found a couple, I took them to the cathedral for Fr. Martin to look at. He laughed, and told me that it's a good thing I'm Catholic, or it might have stayed my mystery. But my man knows wine. 

I am super curious now. Thanks for the head check @lacemaker3 !!

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Beats me.  And, I believe, it has so far beat everyone else here, and all the sellers linked to, as well.

Trinket dishes, nut dishes, tea bag holders, and tastevins do not have spouts.  The handle would not work as a ring holder.  It is too small to be a silent butler.

-

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

I'm really curious about this.  😄   Replacements.Ltd has them listed as ring holders.   I found at least two on there.   Could this have been a dish to set on the sink to hold your jewelry while washing dishes?  The spout has me confused.   I have no idea but am anxious to see the correct answer. 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Se even Replacements doesn't know what is is.   I'd like to see someone use that as a ring holder.  There's a reason ring holders are shaped as they are, and they aren't shaped like that.  And no dish for jewellery, rings or otherwise, has a spout.  

Counfounding.  😖

-

Message 15 of 30
latest reply