cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18th centure faience french plate, need help

i think this is a french faience tin glazed plate, mark on front 1789, 9 1/4" wide by 1 1/4" tall and hand hand painted. i do not know if any of this is DSC00605 (18).JPGDSC00606 (18).JPGDSC00607 (18).JPGDSC00608 (18).JPGDSC00609 (15).JPGDSC00610 (14).JPGcorrect.  any information.   bill

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: 18th centure faience french plate, need help

Genuine examples of Revolutionary faience do turn up. Sometimes valuable antiques survive in very fresh condition with little wear because of how they have been stored or languished unnoticed  and unharmed for centuries in old houses. This plate depicts a variation on the print linked to by smiling66. Is the woman wearing the coronet a generic noblewoman or the Queen?  The licentiousness of the nobles is being attacked. It is the nature of the brushwork that seems key to me: I simply can't tell if it is "right".  Was it painted with the kind of brush held and applied in the way faience painters of the time were trained to do? It is such a popular kind of faience that it is likely to be a copy but it isn't like the few copies I have seen.  
Yours truly
seated on the fence

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

@pillarboxred wrote:

It is such a popular kind of faience that it is likely to be a copy but it isn't like the few copies I have seen.

Have you checked out the museum holding? It is very like OP's, but is described as a 19th century copy ("Copie du 19e siècle") - so, not from 1787:

http://www.alienor.org/collections-des-musees/fiche-objet-66619-assiette

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Also, that example shows much wear.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply