cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Small Penny , Token? Coin?, Need Help

Found this piece inside one old wooden box.  10 mm diameter, 0.8 grams, copper, Double Sided "One Penny"DSCN6749 (Copy).JPGDSCN6750 (Copy).JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@balkania05 wrote:

Do you think it can be an essay?

an essai? no...

token/play money/counter is my guess...

back then the intrinsic value of coins generally was close to face... 0.8 grams of copper was almost nothing... a mid 19th century farthing weighed almost 3 grams; there were 4 farthings to the British penny...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I can't identify it, but the wreath of laurel and oak leaves is a common design on the reverse of civil war tokens. They usually have "NOT ONE CENT" on them. As you may know, the penny is a British denomination, although we often call cents pennies.

Thanks for sharing it.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

It's much much smaller and thin than war tokens. My guess will be that was used in one of the British Commonwealth territories, maybe British India? 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

That's a curious one. Even assuming it's a mule, using two reverse dies, I don't ever remember seeing a token that small with a penny denomination. They are usually the size of the old English pennies. Only thing I can think of might be an island in the Caribbean, where they used a mixture of English, Spanish and American denominations. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Another possibility is a piece of play money. But it seems too well made for that. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Play money is what Heron thought about when first viewing the 1 Penny token.  Heron cannot remember ever seeing this particular design of token.  Perhaps it WAS used in the Caribbean area.  Maybe a saloon token?  Or souvenir item?  It is a neat 1 Penny token.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

diameter? weight? thickness?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

It was in small print at top of 1st photo:

Found this piece inside one old wooden box. 10 mm diameter, 0.8 grams, copper, Double Sided "One Penny"

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@b-17blinker wrote:

It was in small print at top of 1st photo:

glasses? sheesh...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Looks like a legit coin/token and my guess is that is around 1860. In that box where I've found this piece were other  very old British Coins (Commonwealth). I have some nice early tokens (British) but hard for me to believe somebody would struck in that condition a play token.  Do you think it can be an essay?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

diameter 10 mm, 0,8 grams, thickness 0.7 mm

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@balkania05 wrote:

Do you think it can be an essay?

an essai? no...

token/play money/counter is my guess...

back then the intrinsic value of coins generally was close to face... 0.8 grams of copper was almost nothing... a mid 19th century farthing weighed almost 3 grams; there were 4 farthings to the British penny...

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The token stating 1 Penny is only 10mm dia.   Heron agrees that this light weight item is probably not a coin.  If this token was minted in the 18th Century or early 19th Century it would not be close to the actual weight of a 1 penny coin.  An English Royal 1 Penny copper coin dated 1807 weighs 18.9 grams.  In addition, the genuine English 1 Penny is about 34mm in diameter (information per Numista). Heron actually has a few of these 1807 English Pennies but none as nice as the one now depicted on the Numista site).  The laurel wreath design is familiar to Heron.  A coin dated 1828 is on Heron's desk at this moment and the laurel wreath design is close.  A fairly common coin & token wreath design in the 18th and 19th centuries.  In addition to the possibility of this item being a 'gaming' item or a 'counter' it could be an educational item.  These were sometimes used to teach young folks how to recognize the denomination '1 Penny'.   

Well, whatever it is,  the token 1 Penny is an interesting item and conversation piece.  And it got some of us to think about such items. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

19th c. spielmarke.  Found this on eBay's UK site.  Looks like theres a Half Penny with this same design as wel.

images.jpeg

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Thank you very much for the information.  It is appreciated! Play money is interesting.  

Message 15 of 16
latest reply