Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anybody identify this coin please?

040.jpg041.jpg

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

It is a British Provincial (Conder) token.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I believe it's a half-penny from Wicklow, Ireland, issued by the Irish Mine Company, circa 1790-ish.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@b-17blinker wrote:

I believe it's a half-penny from Wicklow, Ireland, issued by the Irish Mine Company, circa 1790-ish.

that sounds and looks correct according to my 1970 copy of British Tokens and Their Values by Seaby...

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Yes!  Associated Irish Miners Wicklow-Cronebane 1/2 Penny.  el Heron

has one a these dated 1789 in his accumulation of British Conder Tokens and British Merchant Trade Tokens. (The Wicklow-Cronebane 1/2 Penny token in Heron's accumulation grades VF+ and cost $1 in 1964).   The token depicted is about the most worn that Heron has ever seen.  However, it probably has some value.  (The 1964 'cost' of $1 was due to the situation where Heron purchased about 40 or 50 Conder tokens in one purchase.

The owner of a Coin Shop in California was in divorce proceedings and

was selling his Conder Tokens for $2 each.  Mostly VF grade.  Heron had enough cash to buy a dozen tokens.  Then the Coin Shop owner said that if Heron bought ALL the Conder Tokens the price would be $1 ea.

Heron had no mas cash so he drove to his apt and got $60 cash and returned to the Coin Shop.   Bought every Conder Token the owner had in his inventory.   Heron remembers it was about 40 to 50 tokens in addition to the dozen already purchased.   (Some were not dated but Heron also bought those and later sold them on eBay auctions).  

Conder tokens are great fun as are some 'old memories'!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

elheron.........if you ever git tired of your Conder tokens, I will gladly hold them in custodianship on your behalf.   🤑

I have 28 in my collection, with the average price about $25. The UK eBay site has a much bigger selection of tokens than here in the USofA, however the shipping is often the deal breaker at a minimum of US$10.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hola B-17!  Okay, what Heron did was attach a note to Heron's Last Will & Testament with info re B-17 & Conder Tokens.   Good luck! 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You'll outlast me!

I'll never see 'em.  😀

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

i used to have couple of nice ones, but i think i sold 'em in The Great Sell-off a number of years ago...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

For tokens from the late eighteenth century, I have seen quite a few that have been well preserved and not too overly priced.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Where are you deep mirror proof like? Ain't ya gonna return and say something?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply