cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

Hello...I need some help,

a package that was supposed to arrive August 4th never arrived even though the tracking said the item was delivered to my zip code. So I waited a couple days, asked my neighbors if they had anything and checked around my property...nothing. I checked my USPS account informed delivery page, it didn't even show up in the  packages section until after I added the tracking.

so contacted the seller and reported the item not received .It also asked if I wanted a refund or replacement so I chose  replacement, but if they wanted to help me figure out what could have happened first I would have been fine with that. Next day they replied to say they  blocked me. 😞 So I guess that was that and would not be getting any assistance from them.

So then last night I spent hours researching the issue online for any guidance and one advice explained to go to the PO and have them check for the GPS of where the package was left by carrier to see if it matched my address. If not that could be used as proof that the package was lost by the PO and I could use it for my case on eBay or to file a claim with USPS.

Today I went to the PO to ask for the GPS, they told me it was the same zip code but not my same address. Told me to ask around my neighbors which I told them I already did. So I asked if I could have a copy of the GPS results as proof , they said they couldn't do that b/c it would include other addresses that they weren't allowed to give me in the copy??? (I didn't really understand this.)

as for filing a claim, Im not sure if that's even something I can do or if its the seller.If its on their end I  doubt the seller would want to help me since they blocked me without even trying to discuss the matter with me first.

If I can file it myself I would still need the shipping label for proof of insurance but how would I even get that if I never got the package. Or the ship label receipt which the seller would have and well they seem unwilling to want to help me.

I also tried to fill out the missing mail search  form online but for some reason I keep getting a red error message when I try to submit it. Tried to do it again today and continue getting the error message. Sigh

any ideas on what else I could do? If I wait for Ebay to resolve the matter I'll probably be out of luck b/c of the tracking showing the package as delivered.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

eBay will believe the carrier rather than the buyer (or seller). If the online tracking report for the tracking number shows delivery to the same zipcode (5 digit) as what the buyer gave for the shipping address, it will presume it is to that shipping address. That presumption is rebuttable by documentation from the carrier that it was not delivered to that address (the document does not have to give the actual address but merely state it was delivered elsewhere than [your shipping address] since there might be privacy issues). This covers errors by the carrier in mis-delivery (the carrier can tell this by matching the GPS coordinates of the delivery scan with the facts on the ground) and a scamming seller who sends a low value package to another address in your zipcode. See here about appealing the decision if the carrier can document such a problem: https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

On the other hand, neither eBay nor the seller is responsible for the theft or other disappearance of the package from your porch, doorstep, or other place at your address. You can try your homeowners or renters insurance agent to see if that would be covered at what deductible.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Re: what do I do if I never received my package but tracking shows it was delivered?

@megaluv wrote:

Today I went to the PO to ask for the GPS, they told me it was the same zip code but not my same address.

I'll probably be out of luck b/c of the tracking showing the package as delivered. 

Your post office already looked up the tracking number on their computer, and confirmed that it's not your address on the label. So a not-your-item was deliberately sent to another address in your zip code, to prove your delivery. There is no point to keep beating around the bushes: IT WAS NOT YOUR ADDRESS. 

Yes, you'll lose your item not received/I want a replacement case because tracking shows delivered, you won't get a refund, and you can't leave feedback.

You should go back to the post office @megaluv to get a statement saying it's not your address without saying the address or the GPS (because that detail would invade that other person's privacy), the weight and measurements of the package, 

nenu5410_0-1691555704247.jpeg

and the post office person's name, title, and post office phone number, on either USPS stationery or post office date stamp to make it official, then someone like madspark will join us with a copy/paste to read what to do next.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv,

You have been the victim of a fake tracking scam, the seller's send something, an envelope or small box with tracking to a different address, and uses the Delivered scan to win an Item Not Received (INR) dispute. 

eBay's automated INR system is not allowed access to anything but the scan information, due to shipping company's privacy policies.  When you file a dispute and lose in the message there should  be an appeal button.  You have 30 days from losing the dispute to appeal, but in order to win you have to do some leg work. The info below is what you have do do when this happens with any shipping agency.

You will have to go to your P.O. or  a local UPS or FedEx store.  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against yours, and also to check the Package type/size weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received.  If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on Company stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received. Do not ask for specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can appeal the dispute ruling, or contact ebay through their Facebook or Twitter social media pages. (links below) You can write out what happened and what you found out, and add a CLEAR photo or a scan of the note to an appeal or message.  If you go the social media route which is recommended, because the reps know about the fake tracking scams you will need to have the seller's username and the ebay item number. At the end of your message give them your real and ebay username. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

In the future I strongly suggest that you check the feedback profile pages of each seller you intend to buy from, before bidding on or buying their items.  On the profile page if the seller has received neutral or negative feedback, click on the numbers of them to read only those comments. Never go by a feedback percentage alone. Some people who have been scammed but did not file a dispute may have left feedback saying they never received their items.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@nenu-5410,

"...someone like madspark will join us with a copy/paste to read what to do next"

madspark?  I've been called a lot of things before but never that. You may want to stay away from the ocean for awhile I have a lot of friends there.

mudshark61369

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

OK thank you everyone I really appreciate the advice, looks like I'll have to return to my local PO branch, hopefully they'll understand and wont mind doing the written report for me. I'll be showing them this page on my phone so they'll know why I'm requesting such a specific handwritten documentation b/c I'm not sure if its something they'd even be familiar with since they didn't offer to do it when I went.

although I'm sorry I may have been unclear in my post regarding the GPS. From what I understood the clerk told me that the GPS shows the package may have been mis-delivered by the carrier. Not that the label on the package didn't match my actual address.How would they know that the address on the package is not my address, do they have an image of the actual label somehow?or perhaps I'm the one who misunderstood the clerk and its was as you all explained deliberately mislabeled?

it would be really strange to me if that's the case b/c the seller has 99.1 feedback with 133 sales in the last 12 months with no neutrals and only one negative comment. Though coincidentally the neg comment is also for the same reason as my situation, buyer claims the package was not received even though seller claims the tracking states otherwise.. So who knows...
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

so a follow up: I went back to the PO with a copy of my Ebay order details and this time the supervisor rechecked the GPS and it appears that the package was delivered to my address. I must have misunderstood what the previous clerk told me. I don't know about the written address but at least physically it showed up somewhere on my property near in or around my mailbox. So she said all I could do is file a claim.

The thing is I need a physical copy of proof that insurance was purchased but how do I get that if I never got the package? I would ask the seller for a copy of the receipt when they purchased the label but they blocked me so I'm sure they wouldn't help. Any advice?

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv wrote:

I don't know about the written address but at least physically it showed up somewhere on my property near in or around my mailbox.

So she said all I could do is file a claim. Any advice? 

You need USPS to check the written address on the address label. They have a photo of it on their computer, to make sure that it actually is your address on the label (it isn't -- that's why the seller lied and ghosted you). 

Just go to another* post office @megaluv as they are all on the same computer system. It doesn't have to be the same post office again. Then get a post office rubber stamp on the note from the post office, to make it official.

*I was at the pickup window at my post office and said I think this is a fake tracking scam, and the postal clerk at the furthest counter yelled I'm an expert at fake tracking scams, come here. So they are wise to it, and saying that might get the help you need.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

ok thanks, I'll try  another office branch, and ask for the photo of the package.  I didn't know I could go to another one, I thought it had to be the main office assigned to deliver mail to your zip code. I am sure this  seller is a scammer since  more negative feedback has since showed up on their FB page (mostly for selling  counterfit merch) but even if they have a photo of the label Im not sure how it will prove its a tracking scam b/c the GPS does show that the package landed right in or around my mailbox, on my property, not the property next door or the one in front or behind(I was shown  the satellite image myself and recognized  my home.) So if it wasn't my home  address on the label how did it get there? As far as the supervisor was concerned the package was delivered to my address, period, and she felt the matter shouldn't be pursued further other than filing a claim.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

update: well I went to another post office and didn't have much luck there either . The supervisor there told me there wasn't much he could do b/c as the previous office supervisor had told me the GPS coordinates address matches my home address. I asked about the photo of the address label on the package, he said they dont have it b/c its not the office branch that delivers to my zip code. So I'm gonna try going back to the previous office and asking them if they have the photo of the label there. If that fails as well I think my only other option is filing the claim although again I'll have to figure out how to obtain the proof of insurance without having physically gotten the package.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I buy the item.  I get notice of shipping and tracking number to my physical address.  Days pass.  I receive email from ebay the item is delivered in my mailbox or near my mailbox.  There is nothing in my mailbox.  I wait a day after the delivered date.  Meanwhile, I have stopped payment on my VISA.  I file an "item not received" with eBay.  Less than 2 hours later I receive a message from eBay stating they have refunded my money.  I hope you have the same results.  (How did the scammer send false info to eBay itself?  that's a new one for me, and I go back to "Auction Web."Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 3.34.41 PM.jpeg

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

update:  so I returned to the first post office I went to, to ask if they could check the photo they should have on file of the package to see if the address on the label matched my address. Clerk ( I assume she was one of the supervisors judging by her age and authoritative demeanor)said she's not allowed to give me that information, and that as far as they're  concerned with the GPS showing the correct address matching my own, it was delivered and my only option is to file a claim.

so that's that as far as getting a refund through eBay. Now as for filing the claim, again, since I need proof of insurance according to the online form, I asked the clerk how do I get the proof of insurance if I don't have the package label and the receipt of the paid insurance, since the seller has that and the seller blocked me so they are probably not going to help. She told me all I could do is try to file the claim online. No help a all.

So...how do you obtain proof of insurance purchased if you never received the package, have no way of obtaining the package label or receipt of shipping with the paid insurance ans the seller blocked you so they wont help?

@people_of_the_wilderness 

maybe the tracking on the USPS website didnt show the package arrived to your address? yeah I dunno...at least you got your refund.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv,

Apparently, you did not follow the instructions I gave you on 8/9 about what you need to do to get the info needed to win a dispute or an appeal.

1)  You bring a copy of your order details to Your P.O.

2)  You ask the clerk to compare the Detail's address w/ the one on the shipping label, and also the package type/size/weight for what you should have received.

3)  You DO NOT ask for photos or GPS info, they either do not have or cannot give you.

4)  If the address and/or the package info do not match up. You ask the clerk to write a note on USPS stationary, stating in General, that the label address did not match the one on the order details and/or that the package type... was not appropriate for what you should have received.

5)  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

6)  Depending on whether or not you have already won/lost an appeal. You may have to go the social media route, to get a refund.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

alright well  I didn't know I couldn't actually ask about them having photos of the package, although I didn't ask if I could look at the photo myself, but if they had a picture of the label and if they could check the address on it for me. Anyway Im not going back again for the same issue as I don't think they'll want to help me a third time. So that's done. But I guess I'll know for next time this happens.

I haven't filed an appeal yet, I dont know if I should even bother anyway, since I have no way to prove that I never got my package.  I dont think asking for help on  Twitter would make a difference either for same reason.

Id like t try filing a claim,  I just need to figure out how to get that proof my package was insured. Maybe I should make a new post just for that topic....

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@megaluv wrote:

alright well  I didn't know I couldn't actually ask about them having photos of the package, although I didn't ask if I could look at the photo myself, but if they had a picture of the label and if they could check the address on it for me. Anyway Im not going back again for the same issue as I don't think they'll want to help me a third time. So that's done. But I guess I'll know for next time this happens.

I haven't filed an appeal yet, I dont know if I should even bother anyway, since I have no way to prove that I never got my package.  I dont think asking for help on  Twitter would make a difference either for same reason.

Id like t try filing a claim,  I just need to figure out how to get that proof my package was insured. Maybe I should make a new post just for that topic....

It has *nothing* to do with insurance.  

Either follow the excellent detailed instructions mudshark gave you, file a claim with your credit card, or forget about it.  

Message 15 of 35
latest reply