cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sellers ending listing after bids are made

I am getting so many iteams i bid on that the sellers ends if it is almost time to end and the high bid is too low, ive had five iteams this week ware the sellers have ended the auction this way. No reserve, and I have a perfect pay record 100%. ebay  just looks the other way cant even leave a negative feed back.reports about it go unheeded. This kind of thing wastes my time and extends the time it takes to get an item I want by a week each time I have had to win an auction three to five times to get one that adds a week each time. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: sellers ending listing after bids are made

It takes more time to report those sellers but if you like the ebay marketplace do it! It will help ebay weed those sellers out over time or at least pull their seller perks away. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sellers are allowed to end listings early, to discourage it, eBay does charge them FVFs if they do it more than once. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yes, seller cancellations are frustrating for buyers, report them to ebay.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Yes, seller cancellations are frustrating for buyers, report them to ebay.

Report them for what? eBay knows they canceled the active auction; eBay allowed them to do it. There’s nothing to report.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Since Ebay found a way to monetize this behavior it no longer seems to be a violation.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The thing is, there are legitimate reasons for a seller to end an auction early, even if it has bids. Once or twice, I have made a serious mistake in the listing info that may have misled people into bidding. In such a case, the only sane (and decent) thing to do is to cancel all bids and start over again.

So eBay does not and should not forbid sellers from ending auctions early in a blanket fashion. As others have pointed out, it has tried to discourage illegitimate cancellations by charging FVF on a sale that was never made.

Also, it has always been the case that shark buyers try to sweet-talk inexperienced sellers into giving them a bargain by making an offer: "I'll pay you $100 for this item if you end the auction early and sell it to me outright." What the inexperienced seller doesn't realize is that late bidding would have driven it up to $200. So it may not be a sleazy seller worried about not getting enough, but a green seller who was persuaded by a sleazy buyer.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@mersupplyeb wrote:

I am getting so many iteams i bid on that the sellers ends if it is almost time to end and the high bid is too low, ive had five iteams this week ware the sellers have ended the auction this way. No reserve, and I have a perfect pay record 100%. ebay  just looks the other way cant even leave a negative feed back.reports about it go unheeded. This kind of thing wastes my time and extends the time it takes to get an item I want by a week each time I have had to win an auction three to five times to get one that adds a week each time. 

This is very short sighted ofthe seller. It is very common for auctions to get the majority of bids in the last minute or less because so many buyers use snipping programs. We have had items go from $50 to over $1000 in the last 30 seconds

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The easy way to avoid this is not to bid in auctions at all.

More than 80 % of the listings on eBay are Fixed Price. And many auctions have a Buy It Now option

If those prices are close to what you are willing to spend, buy, don't bid.

Many auctioneers, especially newbies, don't seem to realize that they are only seeing high bids, not maximum bids.

And they also are unaware that most bids arrive in the last few minutes of the auction,even the last few seconds if there are snipers who have preset late bids.

More fools they.

From another point of view, if the item is special and the auction was ended before your maximum bid was reached* you can find the closed auction, contact the seller and ask him to set up a private listing for you.

You agree to price and shipping, he relists as Fixed Price using your name as the title, you buy, you pay, he ships, you leave positive feedback.

Everyone is happy instead of frustrated.

Much better for your karma.

*You are bidding once and bidding your maximum, right? Not nibbling at someone's heels?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply