cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i stop ebay from automatically charging my credit card card when i win an auction, i do not w

how do i stop ebay from automatically charging my credit card card when i win an auction, i do not want it to be automatic, i will do it myself

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

how do i stop ebay from automatically charging my credit card card when i win an auction, i do not w

Sellers control whether a valid payment method is required for bids or offers on those sellers' items. Check your Buyer Requirements at the bottom.

eBay controls whether each buyer account is subject to those requirements.

Buyers have no direct control over that requirement when making bids or offers for those sellers' items.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Non-paying bidders have been a plague on eBay for years, and their number has really been growing the in the past few years. 

I am sure you are not among them, but there are too many sport-bidders and others playing bidding games, with no intention to pay.

Your seller has elected to require bidders to pay upon winning an auction, which it is now his privilege to do.

This, by the way, is how auction houses, and most other on-line auctions, have always operated to separate the wheat from the chaff.

-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Your seller has elected to require bidders to pay upon winning an auction, which it is now his privilege to do.

@maxine*j 

@ghlubik 

It is more like eBay placed those settings on a seller's account with the default set to YES without informing them.  It is not something they chose or elected at all.  Yes, a seller can remove the requirement providing they know it is even there and what it actually does to discourage buyers that do actually pay.  

However, those requirements won't do a thing UNTIL eBay forces the Buyer ID to participate. Buyers are shown a pop-up that says "New Smoother Checkout" and requires that the buyer put up a default payment source in order to bid or make an offer.  

This does NOT inform the buyer that this new smoother checkout means they won't be able to combine multiple orders for one shipping price even if the seller advertises that they do, or has a business policy that states win 5 auctions and get free shipping.  None of that will happen now.  In addition, the buyer's payment choices will no longer include Google Pay, Apple Pay, spendable funds, coupons, PayPal Credit, PayPal Pay in 4, etc. 

So we have here buyers wanting to know how this got started in the first place, why they just paid $20 in shipping for ten postage stamps,  and asking how to turn it off. We have sellers that are wondering why they no longer get offers, and their auctions no longer get bids. 

One would think that if non-payers were such a problem, eBay would get rid of the offenders.  This program, once it is mandatory for all Buyer IDs likely will cut down on non-payers, but it will be at the expense of buyers that do pay, and buyers that are not willing to pay 85$ shipping on ten jewelry items billed at $8.50 each when those pieces could be combined in one parcel for $6.  

Instead of getting rid of those problem buyers, eBay has decided to do this instead.  eBay makes more money this way and can blame it on the non-paying buyers as a reason why both buyers and sellers have to pay more. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply