cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Pay Suggestion

I do see the point of auto-pay, if there's buyers that aren't paying: however, it can be problematic if you are trying to group purchases from the same seller (it forces refunds), or if you're trying to bid with not much time left, and you have to jump through hoops.   I would suggest allowing folks to opt-out of auto-pay if they are: (1) on eBay for a certain length of time; (2) have a certain level of positive rating; (3) do not have any negative feedback in the last six months.

There's also a problem, I would add, in that you repeatedly have to confirm the payment type, even if you've done it a number of times before.  Not particularly good for customer experience.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Auto-Pay Suggestion

There's a testing going on. Apparently, not everyone is invited....sounds kinda cruel I know.

I won auctions and they were not on auto-pay for me to pay....it's more an auction thing I believe.

I do have International buyers who can send me an invoice for combined shipping which a seller has to OK that in managed payments.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

In this difficult economic period, does autopay make ebay more or less appealing to buyers & is it likely to  cause a decline in buyer spending ?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

@eocostello wrote:

I do see the point of auto-pay, if there's buyers that aren't paying: however, it can be problematic if you are trying to group purchases from the same seller (it forces refunds), or if you're trying to bid with not much time left, and you have to jump through hoops.   I would suggest allowing folks to opt-out of auto-pay if they are: (1) on eBay for a certain length of time; (2) have a certain level of positive rating; (3) do not have any negative feedback in the last six months.

There's also a problem, I would add, in that you repeatedly have to confirm the payment type, even if you've done it a number of times before.  Not particularly good for customer experience.

Agreed on all counts that it should only affect certain buyers (I believe should affect non-payers... if you dont pay you go into this "penalty box"). That I think is the only reasonable metric to determine who is opted in, your suggestions don't work.

Buyers can't opt out, that completely defeats the entire purpose. Sellers CAN opt out and remove this requirement from their listings. I do not require this from my buyers.

I suggest my method of only affecting non-payers because "length of time" is a poor metric since it may deter newer first time buyers and long time buyers still can be non payers.

Also, buyers can ONLY receive positive feedback, so "a certain level of positive feedback" is not a differentiating metric for BUYERS. Everyone has 100% unless they also sell, then they can be less than 100. 

Negative feedbacks are only given to sellers, in their selling capacity. If I receive a negative in my selling practice that has no bearing or representation on my buying practice. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

I don't think it does anything in an economic way. It does turn buyers away in a customer experience way. People don't trust it, dont like the inability to combine ship or use certain alternate payment methods. It provides a negative experience in many cases I don't believe it "hurts" anyones pocket books other than the combined shipping issue I guess, but that is an issue for buyers in good and bad economic times...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

What have you been smoking, and do you have any left to share??? The "cruel" part of Auto-Payment is that it adversely affects those of us who always pay on time. This program, for lack of a better term, should be targeted at the Usual Suspects - not the members in good standing. Yet another poorly thunk out "innovation" by the superior minds of the eBay brain trust. They remind me of my favorite bumpersticker; "Please Jesus, protect me from your followers!". 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

Auto-Payment diminishes sales by discouraging offers. Just another case of eBay trying to get cute, and shooting themselves in the foot. Wish I had a Benji for every one of those I've seen over my near 23 years of buying & selling on this site. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The payment type is requested on each "offer", or listing being "bid" on each time so that the buyer can choose the source for that particular purchase. Some buyers have different ways that they choose to pay for different things and are thus allowed to make that change.

If you are saying that you have to repeatedly confirm the payment type every time you bid on the same listing, then I agree that is not a good customer experience.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Auto-Pay Suggestion

Hi @eocostello 

Since every buyer has a 100% feedback rating ... and no buyer can receive negative feedback ... your (2) and (3) cannot be used as opt-outs.  ☹️   [Perhaps you're not aware that buyers can only receive positive feedback ... so deadbeat buyers always will have 100% positive feedback.]

Some buyers insist that they want to be asked each time to confirm the payment type ... because they do not want to use the same payment type each time ... which makes it difficult for buyers (like you) who apparently feel it's a nuisance to keep being asked.  It's seems impossible to make everyone less miserable.  😖

Message 9 of 9
latest reply