cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay solicits donations for non-inclusive organizations

eBay just asked me for a donation to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, which "provides quality care for LGBTQ+ people."

So it doesn't provide care for heterosexual people with AIDS.  Therefore, I did not donate.

I've always been told that no one should be discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation.  Here's what ChatGPT says about this:

Discrimination should be condemned, and support for those affected by HIV/AIDS should be inclusive and non-discriminatory.  Before donating to any organization, it's a good practice to research their mission, values, and the specific programs they support. This will help ensure that your contribution aligns with your values and that you're supporting a cause that works towards inclusivity and equality.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: eBay solicits donations for non-inclusive organizations

@doc-holmes wrote:

LGBTQ+ people face discrimination everywhere, even in healthcare settings. This is to help level the playing field. 

Do you believe that imposing the opposite form of discrimination is a better solution that simply eliminating all forms of discrimination?

I'm on the side of eliminating all forms of discrimination.

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

Until conscious and unconscious biases are a thing of the past, positive discrimination is going to be needed.

Meanwhile, anti straight discrimination isn’t a thing so it’s useless to be outraged over it.

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

Didn't go the way you expected, huh?

I took a quick look at their website. The message is pretty clear that they help everyone. That word, the phrases 'for all' , 'no-one left behind' and others similar are all over the site. 

The only 'angry' person here so far is you. People pointing out the flaw in your argument and disagreeing with your premise does not mean they are 'angry'. They just happen to have researched a little. 

And 'I have always been told that no-one should be discriminated against.....' is NOT the same as 'I have always believed that no-one should be discriminated against.....'

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

If I didn't make it clear back in Message 20 that I was pleased to learn the Foundation doesn't discriminate, I would like to reiterate, I was pleased to learn that the Foundation doesn't discriminate.

@frankenhobbit wrote:

'I have always been told that no-one should be discriminated against.....' is NOT the same as 'I have always believed that no-one should be discriminated against.....'

This seems to imply that I don't believe what I've been taught about discrimination.  So to be clear, I am happy to endorse your verbiage as well:  I have always believed that no one should be discriminated against.

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot 

It doesn't appear that you are getting any value from the thread at this point ... so I recommend you ask the moderator to close off the thread to additional Replies.

If you agree ... you can do that by clicking on the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of one of your posts ... and then on 'Report Inappropriate Content'.  Then ask the mod to lock the thread.

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

@doc-holmes wrote:

LGBTQ+ people face discrimination everywhere, even in healthcare settings. This is to help level the playing field. 

Do you believe that imposing the opposite form of discrimination is a better solution that simply eliminating all forms of discrimination?

I'm on the side of eliminating all forms of discrimination.

100% agree. When there are no longer bigots discriminating against those not like them, let's do it! 

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

It appears you want to shut down further discussion.  I believe anybody who wants to add their views to this thread should be free to do so.

Even if I wanted to shut down further discussion, to report one of my own posts as inappropriate is not a good means to that end.  My posts have advanced principles such as

• no one should be discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation
  • policies that exclude people are not inclusive

and those principles are completely appropriate.

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

I make a donation to a charity by force every April 15th.....

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@gpspilot,

By the tenor of your post, I would guess you do not donate to charities that only benefit veterans, cancer patients, women, men, disaster survivors, etc., because they only provide assistance to those people.  No one is forcing you to donate to any charity you would not personally support yourself.

Next, OP will complain about charities that discriminate upon socioeconomic status.

The charity refuses to support Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Richard Branson and the like? I refuse to support the charity!!

Must help everyone equally, can't discriminate against a person just because they are not poor!

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Again, going with what you say in your own posts, it's okay to discriminate when you think it's okay but not if you don't believe in the type of population the charity serves? 

Hmm.  Is it just me who thinks Elon Musk's kids shouldn't divert resources away from very ill poor kids, or is it 99.99% of the population who thinks that?  Yeah, I don't believe a charity with limited financial resources should serve Musk's kids;  guilty as charged.

@albertabrightalberta wrote:
all of us could (knowingly or not) have a loved one who is part of a marginalized community who needs extra help.

And that's a great reason why charities that serve marginalized communities shouldn't discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Are you discriminating against the hypothesized 0.01% of the population who thinks charities should support Elon Musk's kids? Shouldn't you be more inclusive towards that hypothetical 0.01% of the population? 

Message 55 of 55
latest reply