cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay solicits donations for non-inclusive organizations

eBay just asked me for a donation to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, which "provides quality care for LGBTQ+ people."

So it doesn't provide care for heterosexual people with AIDS.  Therefore, I did not donate.

I've always been told that no one should be discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation.  Here's what ChatGPT says about this:

Discrimination should be condemned, and support for those affected by HIV/AIDS should be inclusive and non-discriminatory.  Before donating to any organization, it's a good practice to research their mission, values, and the specific programs they support. This will help ensure that your contribution aligns with your values and that you're supporting a cause that works towards inclusivity and equality.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: eBay solicits donations for non-inclusive organizations

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

based on your premise, wouldn't you think the American Cancer Society discriminates against people who don't have cancer? 

The ACS researches cures that benefit everyone; all of us could potentially get cancer in the future, or have a loved one who could potentially get cancer in the future.

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

Furthermore, I think St Jude's should discriminate on the basis of income.  I wouldn't want to see one of Elon Musk's kids receiving free care from St. Jude's, and diverting resources away from a low-income family.

Again, going with what you say in your own posts, it's okay to discriminate when you think it's okay but not if you don't believe in the type of population the charity serves? 

@gpspilot wrote:

The ACS researches cures that benefit everyone; all of us could potentially get cancer in the future, or have a loved one who could potentially get cancer in the future.

And all of us could (knowingly or not) have a loved one who is part of a marginalized community who needs extra help.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

@gone.c-33 wrote:

Catering to marginalized groups isn’t being non-inclusive

Very true.  I have donated to an organization that serves the homeless, and says our services are available to everyone, regardless of one's sex, race, religion, identity or orientation.   In contrast with the description on the eBay Checkout page, that  is a good way to say you're inclusive.   

@gone.c-33 wrote:

I can assure you the straights are still safe.

"Straights" are safe?  I have heard of cases of heterosexual people dying of AIDS (e.g., Arthur Ashe).  The fact that those cases are rare is all the more reason not to discriminate against that group;  not discriminating against that group will consume a small fraction of the organization's resources.

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

Of course charitable donations are optional.  When they become mandatory, they're called taxes. 

It appeared that eBay was promoting a non-inclusive charity, and that is a problem I wanted to bring to light so it could be fixed.  Merely not donating would not have accomplished that.

Message 34 of 55
latest reply

Again, going with what you say in your own posts, it's okay to discriminate when you think it's okay but not if you don't believe in the type of population the charity serves? 

Hmm.  Is it just me who thinks Elon Musk's kids shouldn't divert resources away from very ill poor kids, or is it 99.99% of the population who thinks that?  Yeah, I don't believe a charity with limited financial resources should serve Musk's kids;  guilty as charged.

all of us could (knowingly or not) have a loved one who is part of a marginalized community who needs extra help.

And that's a great reason why charities that serve marginalized communities shouldn't discriminate based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

@gone.c-33 wrote:

Catering to marginalized groups isn’t being non-inclusive

Very true.  I have donated to an organization that serves the homeless, and says our services are available to everyone, regardless of one's sex, race, religion, identity or orientation.   In contrast with the description on the eBay Checkout page, that  is a good way to say you're inclusive.   

@gone.c-33 wrote:

I can assure you the straights are still safe.

"Straights" are safe?  I have heard of cases of heterosexual people dying of AIDS (e.g., Arthur Ashe).  The fact that those cases are rare is all the more reason not to discriminate against that group;  not discriminating against that group will consume a small fraction of the organization's resources.

I meant safe from discrimination. 

I’m gonna go ahead and say it, this post is nothing but thinly veiled homophobia.

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

@gone.c-33 wrote:

this post is nothing but thinly veiled homophobia.

That's a despicable accusation.  In this discussion I've said many times that no one should be discriminated against based on sexual orientation.   Do you agree?  If so, great.

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

If I dislike charities that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, how have I twisted something?  Please explain.

@gpspilot 

I'd be happy to explain:

Because eBay stated that a charity 'provides quality care for the LGBTQ+ community' ... a community that is pointedly discriminated against by many ... it does NOT mean that the charity isn't also helping other members of the community.  

Without any evidence, you decided on your own that the Elton John AIDS Foundation is actually 'discriminating against heterosexuals'.   [A twist in logic.]

Then, not only did you decide not to donate to that charity ... which is certainly your right ... you decided to post your erroneous conclusion about the charity on a public board ... apparently to encourage others to do likewise.  [No 'twist' here.  I'll refrain from characterizing it.]

In short, you ended up maligning both Elton John's charity and eBay ... while portraying yourself to be  defending 'inclusivity'.  [A particularly ironic twist.]

Finally, when you discover that you had reached the wrong conclusion about the charity ... that it actually doesn't discriminate against heterosexuals ... you then blame eBay for 'writing a poor description'.   [A twist in responsibility.]

I've done my best to explain.  I hope you have a nice day ... which does NOT mean that I am hoping everyone else has a lousy day.   😉

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

Homophobia encompasses more than simply hate towards homosexuals, it also covers amongst other things being against measures taken to lessen the gap between the LGBTQ+ community and straight people.

Positive  discrimination, or as it is often called affirmative action isn’t about taking anything from the people already at the table, it’s about asking to make space (of which there is plenty)  for others. The white, straight males aren’t included in inclusivity-oriented initiatives because they’re already everywhere.

Stating that the straights are discriminated against because of a LGBTQ+ focused initiative shows a lack of understanding of what Equity, Diversity and Inclusion is about.

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

It was indeed a poor description.  To provide care to everyone with AIDS is more laudable than to provide care for members of "the LGBTQ+ community'" with AIDS.   Apparently the Foundation does the former, so the latter description should not have been used.     

And providing care to everyone is the ultimate in inclusivity.  No irony in that statement.

Next time this comes up on my Checkout page, I will donate.  You have a nice day too.

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

You just named a group that you think shouldn't be included in inclusivity.

No.  By definition, to the extent that a policy excludes anyone, it is not inclusive.

If you want people to reject the concept of inclusivity, proclaiming that some groups of people should be excluded from inclusivity would be an excellent way to do it.  So please stop going there.

Message 41 of 55
latest reply

Inclusivity:  The practice or policy of providing equal access to opportunities and resources for people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized, such as those having physical or intellectual disabilities or belonging to other minority groups.

houseofpaws_0-1697229768847.jpeg

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

@gpspilot wrote:

eBay just asked me for a donation to the Elton John AIDS Foundation, which "provides quality care for LGBTQ+ people."

So it doesn't provide care for heterosexual people with AIDS.  Therefore, I did not donate.

I've always been told that no one should be discriminated against on the basis of their sexual orientation.  Here's what ChatGPT says about this:

Discrimination should be condemned, and support for those affected by HIV/AIDS should be inclusive and non-discriminatory.  Before donating to any organization, it's a good practice to research their mission, values, and the specific programs they support. This will help ensure that your contribution aligns with your values and that you're supporting a cause that works towards inclusivity and equality.

LGBTQ+ people face discrimination everywhere, even in healthcare settings. This is to help level the playing field. Quite honestly, this isn't really the best place for a discussion like this. 

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

Your definition speaks of a vague group of people who might otherwise be excluded or marginalized, which necessitates the existence of another vague group who might not otherwise be excluded or marginalized.  If a policy provides equal opportunities for everyone – the former vague group as well as the latter vague group – it doesn't meet your definition of inclusivity.

Here's a simple, straightforward, and more inclusive definition of inclusivity:  the practice of providing equal opportunities to everyone.

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply