cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay issued a $1050 "courtesy refund"?

I purchased a camera lens for $2100 but ultimately didn't like it and decided to return it. The seller's listing did say they accept returns, I paid the return shipping cost. The seller sent me some angry messages about a "remorse return" and he charged me a 50% restocking fee of $1050 that he called a "rental fee" even though I told him I never even used the lens.

Restocking fees are not allowed on eBay since 2018. I opened a case with eBay and I got an email today saying they decided to issue me a "courtesy refund" of the full $1050 which includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

Now normally, courtesy refunds are issued for small amounts and eBay covers it, and it does not come out of the seller's account. I have never heard of a "courtesy refund" for such a large amount. Would eBay really cover $1050 and let the seller off the hook or am I reading this wrong?

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: eBay issued a $1050 "courtesy refund"?

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @calhounmonster 

Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere I missed ... but I was wondering whether you opened a return request before returning the item ... or did you simply return it without opening a case?

I thought that might have had something to do with how eBay decided to handle issue.

Yes of course I opened a return request before returning the item. It would make no sense to simply ship something back without opening a return first.

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@calhounmonster wrote:

Yes of course I opened a return request before returning the item. It would make no sense to simply ship something back without opening a return first.

@calhounmonster 

Then you'd be surprised at how many buyers simply return an item without opening a case ... judging by posts on the Boards.

Message 47 of 52
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

@calhounmonster wrote:

@calhounmonster 

Then you'd be surprised at how many buyers simply return an item without opening a case ... judging by posts on the Boards.

That would be highly unusual in my experience. Since I've been a seller on eBay for 20 years, the only time I can remember an item being returned without the buyer opening a return request first is when the item was returned as undeliverable due to some address error.

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@px_455 , yes, that is correct, and the seller's return policy on the listing was "30 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping." so that is in agreement as well.

You are somehow under the impression that sellers get the opportunity to deny returns and that a return policy is purely voluntary.

Some sellers type the quiet stuff out loud. It just is what it is but I would be hoping mad as well if someone yanked me around to the tune of $1000.

Either way, if the seller makes this a habit, I can assure you they won't have the option to deduct anything from a return much longer.

Goes both ways. Buyers returning $1000 items and getting reported by sellers isn't going to be in the MBG for long.

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

@monster-deals , that is not correct. You misunderstood my post, because I said nothing of the kind.

In this case, the buyer simply returned an item in compliance with the terms of the seller's return policy.

That is allowed, and the buyer did nothing wrong. Even if the seller filed a false report, the buyer has been in contact with eBay customer service, and the false report would have been removed from their account. I had a seller "report me" because I requested a return after the seller sent me the wrong size item (the listing said it was a Large, the item I received was labelled a Medium). The seller's false report had no effect on my account. The defect they received didn't do their own account any good.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

@px_455 wrote:

Well, I am going to let the cat out of the bag...

Here goes...

As TRS+ a seller can withhold up to 50% of the return for basically any reason, and I say that because it hardly matters... As in no matter how valid or invalid the reason, buyers ALWAYS call eaby to get their full refund anyway... And in reply eaby ALWAYS issues the courtesy refund as well.

So, it doesn't really matter.

Neither does the amount, small or large, has no effect on the above outcome.

That being said, for it all to make sense we have to understand that from a seller's perspective there's nothing free about free shipping and free returns, the simple fact is the seller pays for it all!

Yes, the seller pays for both shipping labels.

I am going to guess, buyers simply think nothing of this cost since it doesn't come out of their pockets and besides, all sellers are rich and can afford to pay all sorts of expenses out of their gold bullion holdings.

Further... As a seller I have noticed a disproportionate amount of what I will call "entitled" returns.  These are products being returned simply because the buyer feels entitled to return and get a full refund for any and all reasons, whatever, you know, because they can... As in I didn't really want to buy it but I thought you should ship it to me and now you can pay for me to ship it back after I looked at your product and decided I didn't want it after all...

And yes, I realize eaby advertises free returns like it's such a great thing but it's all at the seller's expense and we're tired of carrying the cost... So fair is fair, eaby sticks it to us as sellers from the free returns perspective by basically allowing buyers to "window shop" from home by "try before you buy" all at our expense, so then we as sellers decide to let eaby pay for the shipping and the inconvenience by holding up to half the refund and let them (meaning eaby) pay for the courtesy refund.

Fact is, change only happens on the side that's losing money.

You'll never see the side that's raking it in worrying about changing anything other than to benefit themselves even more, so if we as sellers want this idiotic system to change then we stick it to those who are capable of making it happen because from our end we are doing and have done everything we can to avoid paying two-way shipping "for free."

Sorry got a bit carried away...

There is a lot to unpack here... when you say "there is nothing free about free shipping and free returns... the seller pays for both shipping labels".
That was not the case here, the buyer paid for shipping both ways, the seller was out nothing. If, as a seller you don't like free shipping and free returns, don't offer those perks. You act as if free shipping and free returns are mandatory here on eBay. They are not.

Then you mentioned what you called "entitled" returns... where the buyer feels entitled to return and get a full refund for any and all reasons, whatever, you know, because they can.
If you offered returns in your listing, then they ARE entitled to return for any and all reasons, because YOU gave them that entitlement.

"we're tired of carrying the cost."
Then don't offer free returns, or returns at all, if you're tired of it. Again it's NOT mandatory on eBay to offer returns, unless the item is defective.

Myself, as a seller, I offer free returns on 99% of my items, it's a perk to the buyer that they can purchase the item worry-free, that if they realized later that they made a mistake, changed their mind, or simply didn't like the color or something else about it, they get a hassle-free return experience, with no questions asked. I don't like returns any more than you do, but when I get them I handle them with kindness and courtesy no matter the reason for the return.

It sounds like with your attitude that eBay is "sticking it to you",  and you think offering returns is an "idiotic system", then you are not a good candidate to offer returns and you should simply opt out of the program rather than coming on the boards and complaining about it.

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@monster-deals , that is not correct. You misunderstood my post, because I said nothing of the kind.

In this case, the buyer simply returned an item in compliance with the terms of the seller's return policy.

That is allowed, and the buyer did nothing wrong. Even if the seller filed a false report, the buyer has been in contact with eBay customer service, and the false report would have been removed from their account. I had a seller "report me" because I requested a return after the seller sent me the wrong size item (the listing said it was a Large, the item I received was labelled a Medium). The seller's false report had no effect on my account. The defect they received didn't do their own account any good.

Nothing I typed is incorrect. Sellers HAVE to take returns because of the easily manipulated system that ebay has set up.

If you think any seller is happy with a buyer returning a $2000 anything then you are out of your mind.

I would be livid. Beyond livid.

Message 52 of 52
latest reply