cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay has become as bad as craigslist!

I used to like shopping on eBay but not anymore!

There are too many bait and switch sellers, too many scams and TOO LITTLE BEING DONE BY EBAY TO STOP IT FROM HAPPENING!!!!

TOO HARD TO GET AHOLD OF ANYONE FROM EBAY TO HELP FIX A SITUATION!!!

I'll take my business elsewhere!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@anothervoiceinthewilderness,

Perhaps if you told us what your problem is, we can help you with it. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If you take a few minutes to look at the sellers feedback, pictures and description, it can save alot of headaches. I have been on Ebay for 19 years. I think I have returned two things. And that was from items being damaged because of poor packing. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I've been buying on here for years and never had any problems until the last couple of years... I've had 7 sellers who have either bait and switch or just flat out lied...why can't people just be honest this day and age

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

We would need an example of one of those seller's listings to tell you what to look out for. If you bought from one recently, post the ebay item number which is displayed on your order details.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

zwjwwe-08 this seller sold me an Ozark trail instant setup A-frame tent yesterday only to try and get me to take a cheap junk dome tent today .... says it's a US seller out of California but when I got the messages it says they're out of China 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

That seller is from China and they are dropshipping from the US.

One feedback mentions their order being from Walmart.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Had you checked the seller's feedback profile page, which you should have done before buying the tent, you would have seen that they are registered in China.  If you click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback a seller has received, to read only those comments it can tell you more about how reliable a seller is.  You can't trust chinese sellers. Their feed back percentage of 97% is a bad one for a high volume ebay seller even though they have received a low number of feedback.

Another thing you might notice on a profile page is how many different categories a seller has sold items from.  In this case household paper products, boom boxes, drinking water hoses for campers, electric snow blowers, power tools...  If you see a seller has made all of their items "Private listings" that's often a sign of a chinese seller.

Reply to the seller's message/offer of another item by saying. "I expect to receive the item I ordered within the the estimated time frame given on your listing.   Do not ask them to cancel, the transaction, and on the day after the last estimated delivery date open an Item Not Received dispute. Read the terms of ebay's money back guarantee (MBG) first. So you know what to do after filing the dispute.  Then leave appropriate feedback for them.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thanks everyone but I think I'm done with eBay after this one gets taken care of...

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@anothervoiceinthewilderness wrote:

Thanks everyone but I think I'm done with eBay after this one gets taken care of...

That is up to you, but what makes you think the same thing doesn't happen on other sites?  eBay gives you tools to determine whether or not you should buy from a seller.  If you don't use them this sort of thing will happen. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ya, that's why I think I'll only be buying in a store or face to face from now on...it might cost a bit more but I'm ok with that...

There's too much Romans 1:24-32, 2 Timothy 3:1-5 & 4:3-4, ect... mentality this day and age to not be able to look someone in the eyes when making a deal 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

ebay is the one that is going to help you, not sure why you are mad at them

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I agree it's awful.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

When I think of transactions on Craigslist, buyers who make an appointment to come and buy but do not show up comes to mind.

Most Craigslist sales are eyeball to eyeball and if you get cheated it is because you did not know what you were doing.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I used to like shopping on eBay but not anymore!

Oh no, I'm sorry.

There are too many bait and switch sellers, too many scams

Oh, really? Sounds like you need to vet your sellers better, honestly. Occasionally it can happen, but "too many" sounds like you're experiencing an abnormal amount of these.

TOO LITTLE BEING DONE BY EBAY TO STOP IT FROM HAPPENING!!!!

eBay gives your robust protections in a self-service method. They give you the tools to protect yourself, it is just the process they adopted. It works well if you do it right... and if you vet sellers well you'll never get to this point.

TOO HARD TO GET AHOLD OF ANYONE FROM EBAY TO HELP FIX A SITUATION!!!

99.999% of the "situations" are handled automatically by eBay's system. No need for a real person. Most of the real people will lie to you anyways. There are ways to get to the good people for more extreme situations.

I'll take my business elsewhere!

Oh, no, I'm sorry. Good Luck.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply