cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital copy

While not paying attention, I purchased a digital copy of a video game. It seems to involve being given an account that I have to download the game to a PS3 with. But after a bit of research, this may be against TOS, Ebay's or Sony's, or both.

Should I file a case before I go any further? I've not actually downloaded the game or gotten the account yet.

- - - - -
Derp
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: digital copy

I think every online game these days has a clause in the TOS about how you can't sell game content, so yeah, it's a violation to sell an account. It's also a violation of eBay listing rules to list digital content in anything other than eBay Classifieds. I'll bet it was listed under Video Games, which probably helped fool you a bit.

I'd start by asking the seller to refund you.

Since he's not sending you a physical object — like a package with a tracking number — he would also not win an Item Not Received dispute against him.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

In addition, the item was purchased with Ebay bucks. I'm just presuming these aren't even refundable whatsoever.

- - - - -
Derp
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think every online game these days has a clause in the TOS about how you can't sell game content, so yeah, it's a violation to sell an account. It's also a violation of eBay listing rules to list digital content in anything other than eBay Classifieds. I'll bet it was listed under Video Games, which probably helped fool you a bit.

I'd start by asking the seller to refund you.

Since he's not sending you a physical object — like a package with a tracking number — he would also not win an Item Not Received dispute against him.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

wrote:

While not paying attention, I purchased a digital copy of a video game. It seems to involve being given an account that I have to download the game to a PS3 with. But after a bit of research, this may be against TOS, Ebay's or Sony's, or both.

Should I file a case before I go any further? I've not actually downloaded the game or gotten the account yet.

You can't file a case just because it may be against Sony's or Ebay's TOS. If the seller fails to send the game, you can file an INR however if it was properly listed as a classified ad, its ineligible for the money back guarantee. You would need to file with paypal

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The item was listed under video games, as all of the other digital sales seemed to be. Either way, the seller was understanding and refunded simply on request. There's nothing to have to pay to ship back for either of us so at least there's that.

Thanks for the advice.

- - - - -
Derp
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Glad this had a good outcome and you got your refund!

So this doesn't happen again,though, just do your due diligence before buying, then buy when you are very sure that you want what you are buying and that it is what you think it is.

It will save you from this type of situation!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply