cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your item could not be delivered to the intended recipient or returned to sender.

I bought an item from an overseas seller and on the USA side it was to be delivered by USPS.  However, when I look at the tracking number it says this "Your item could not be delivered to the intended recipient or returned to sender. It has been disposed of by USPS."  I have bought from over seas sellers before without issue so, not sure what happened to this package. I would like a refund however, when I try the "I didn't receive" option it tells me item is being shipped so I can't use this option.  It does not fall into any of the "Return this item" categories or, I just choose one.  Any ideas as to the best option for requesting a refund?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Your item could not be delivered to the intended recipient or returned to sender.

There are certain items that cannot be sent in the USPS mail system. Not much you can do at this point. Seller sent you something through the mail that is illegal. It sounds bad. It could even be the postage on the package that was fake. It could be anything. Its possible package had a tear and USPS saw what was inside. USPS will usually put it in a package bag and still send it out. But it sounds like you can only try a refund from the seller as item not received after "estimated date of delivery". Since this is from another country that could be a while before you can do a refund from the seller.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Your item could not be delivered to the intended recipient or returned to sender.

What is the last expected delivery date?  An item not received case cannot be opened until the last expected delivery date has passed.  There is a 30 day window starting that day to open the case.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

If it was not deliverable  to the address you provided you lose buyer protection.

What did you buy that wasn't allowed in the international mail that they confiscated?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

There are certain items that cannot be sent in the USPS mail system. Not much you can do at this point. Seller sent you something through the mail that is illegal. It sounds bad. It could even be the postage on the package that was fake. It could be anything. Its possible package had a tear and USPS saw what was inside. USPS will usually put it in a package bag and still send it out. But it sounds like you can only try a refund from the seller as item not received after "estimated date of delivery". Since this is from another country that could be a while before you can do a refund from the seller.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Some additional details. The item made it through customs. It was only the last mile for delivery to my house that USPS could not deliver. So, I assume they had my address messed up. But address comes from ebay and I have not touched it in years.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I believe your question was "Any ideas as to the best option for requesting a refund?"

And the answer is, file INR after the last estimated delivery date has elapsed.

If that date has already passed, and you still cannot file INR then maybe something was shipped that is illegal to ship, but only you and the seller know what was sent.  And possibly your mail carrier by now.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thanks. Seems like that is my only option.

I doubt the mail carrier knows as that would imply they are opening up the packages. I would believe customs would open it but it passed custom. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps damaged after passing through customs !!!!!!

Liquid???

Damaged liquid item might be disposed of along the way by USPS if it had not yet reached the "delivery unit".

Just tossing that out as a possibility.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@plsmeetme88 wrote:

Some additional details. The item made it through customs. It was only the last mile for delivery to my house that USPS could not deliver. So, I assume they had my address messed up. But address comes from ebay and I have not touched it in years.

@plsmeetme88 

It's easy enough to see the Address on your Order. (Your address never "comes from eBay.") If the address on the Order is incorrect, go to your Account Settings and update all of your Address fields.

Screenshot (11).png

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Hi @plsmeetme88 

I noticed you purchase plants on eBay.  If you purchased one from out of the country ... the state you live in might not allow them to be delivered.

[I remember when I first moved to California.  My car was stopped at the CA border ... as was all the cars in front of me.  I thought maybe they were checking on drugs ... or maybe a kidnapping ... but all they wanted to know was if I was bringing in any fruit from another state.]

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Yes. I have bought a number of items over the past few months and have not updated my address in ebay. This is the only recent order that was undelivered. I had one other very delayed domestic shipment long time back and in that case the shipper's label printing was not aligned and chopped off the first character of every address line. Surprisingly USPS did eventually delivery it.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Care to share the identity of the item with us?  

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

It was a plant and the seller said they have paper work to allow shipment. It made it through customs port in California then proceeded to my state. The package got to my local post office which is not in California. From my local post office it was considered to be undeliverable. I am not aware of post offices in my state performing customs inspection for inbound packages.  And, if they did then they are overriding the actual port of entry inspection. I am now thinking the label got damaged so, they know longer had an address.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

No liquids but I am started to believe it is something like that. Maybe the label was damaged so, it was no longer legible. But does that mean I am stuck with no recourse?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

If tracking shows it made it to your post office and out for delivery, you can take the tracking number to the post office and ask if it was addressed to you.  

If it was addressed to someone else they won't tell you who, but they can definitely tell if it was to you.  Then you can ask about that terminal sounding delivery scan and what it means.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply