cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay ever fix BAIT & SWITCH or do spammers make them too much money?

"When looking for  iPhone 6s screens to purchase for my store (I fix iPhones) the first 3 pages of results 'APPEAR' to be for iPhone 6s screens, after all, the title reads LCD Display Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly For iPhone 6 | 6s | 7 Plus. But NOWHERE in the title does it say anything about iPhone 4, but when you open the link, you are presented with an iPhone 4 screen and when 
I see that dreaded drop down menu, I already know what I've got myself into...

SCAMMED AGAIN. You might not technically call it a scam, but this is invaluable time that I have been tricked out of that I will never get back. With each BAIT & SWITCH, these devious spammers shave minutes of my life off that I will never get back. BUT WHY? Nobody's cares about iPhone 4,  they're completely worthless! They lure you in with the low price and when you select the real item as advertised for, the price goes up. And this is just one example of millions. I was looking for MacBook chargers one day and I got bait and switched with a screwdriver. I can't tell you how many hours of my life are wasted in trying to find exactly what I'm looking for.

I report the items when I see them, but not a single one has ever been removed. WHY DOESN'T EBAY STOP IT? One would think eBay would want to unite buyers with the item they want as quickly as possible, instead of preying on unsuspecting consumers who accidentally buy the wrong thing.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Will eBay ever fix BAIT & SWITCH or do spammers make them too much money?

I remember searching for bags to store clothing and wanted a paticular size and I enter the size and all these listings appear and I go to the cheapest one only to find out the price is for some other size bags which are way too small. I checked several more lisitngs that all had the same results so I stopped clicking on those listings that have variations.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

this is all too common on ebay. i can not count the times that i searched for an item only to be flooded with anything but. i have resorted to just buying somewhere else besides ebay. can you imagine going to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and having 10,000 chineese gadgets, a few car parts and maybe a few items that use milk but only actually having several gallons of milk?  if i cant find it, i cant buy it!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

This site is flooded with Chinese sellers now. Used to have a few good Chinese sellers with decent products, not anymore. Just about everything I'm looking for lately comes up with hundreds of Chinese products first. Even if I filter them out I still get them. Very annoying, I'll shop elsewhere.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

SCAMMED AGAIN. You might not technically call it a scam, but this is invaluable time that I have been tricked out of that I will never get back. With each BAIT & SWITCH, these devious spammers shave minutes of my life off that I will never get back. BUT WHY? Nobody's cares about iPhone 4,  they're completely worthless! They lure you in with the low price and when you select the real item as advertised for, the price goes up. And this is just one example of millions. I was looking for MacBook chargers one day and I got bait and switched with a screwdriver. I can't tell you how many hours of my life are wasted in trying to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Spend your time Wisely

Time, unlike money, when spent can never be replaced.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Will eBay ever fix BAIT & SWITCH  NO  or do spammers make them too much money?  YES

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes indeed, you would think this would be a top priority of ebay. To me, the nastiest version is when the title mentions just ONE item, and the price posted is way too low for that item. It is obviously bait and switch. My personal contacts with sellers have frequently (and surprising to me!) resulted in their changing the posted price to match the item in the title, but hey, I'm just one guy. Ebay could do this for all.

Ebay is in danger of a serious class-action lawsuit over this. .... such a no-brainer.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello, @nocr...

Forgive me if I repeat some other poster on this thread. 

"WHY DOESN'T EBAY STOP IT?" Hmm... That is an easy one, because scammers are more money in the bank, as long as scammers make them money they will keep both eyes closed... I estimate in the next 10 years (if, I dare say, eBay lasts that long) these will be the options [for selling]: 

Advanced, Simple, ShadyDealz... 

The only way for us to help stop the scamming (as talking to eBay is hopeless) is to not get scammed ourselves and warn others that we know... 

I would estimate (this is just my idea from no research, just from my little knowledge of eBay) 60-70% of eBay sales are a scam of some kind... And then there are buyer scammers... 

I have one question for us all to think about:

What if the seller is a scammer, and the buyer bought it because s/he is a scammer?
Good luck buying, Good luck selling!
@itsmostlikelytrashnottreasure

----------

As you can tell I have no feedback and no items for sale... That is because this is a funny thing called a posting account

Would you rather have a loyal friend who will lay at your feet, or a independant one who does his on thing... The question is: Do you want a dog or a cat?

Message 8 of 8
latest reply