cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Zero (new) Sellers must be avoided.

New Sellers who have "Zero" feedback are often scammers, we all know that. Or do we? One would think that eBay would be watchful about new sellers and certainly not allow them to be trusted over say a 25 year customer with perfect feedback on over 3000 transactions, right. Wrong eBay does not appreciate or protect a long-time loyal client. So be careful and avoid scammers, who are often spotted by their lack of feedback. Don't get scammed like I did!  Don't expect any loyalty from eBay. I had to find out the hard way, when they sided against me, I never received my item ... eBay and the scammer stole my money! 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I think it depends on the price of an item.

A new seller who is selling items for around ten bucks are OK in my opinion. 

Buying an electronic item or something expensive I would be careful with.

But I think eBay is rather good in obtaining that money back guaranteed.

I don't know what went wrong in your situation...I think you had posted something a while back about it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

One would think that eBay would be watchful about new sellers and certainly not allow them to be trusted over say a 25 year customer with perfect feedback on over 3000 transactions, right.

If a 25-year customer with 3000 feedback is willing to trust a new seller with zero feedback, eBay is not going to second-guess that buyer.

All accounts start out with zero feedback, so eBay obviously has to have a way for new sellers to get started, otherwise there can be no experienced sellers. eBay cannot simply require all sellers to be "trustworthy"; trustworthiness is something that is demonstrated over time.

There are many good reasons for buyers to avoid buying expensive items from new and unproven sellers, though, particularly when the deal is too-good-to-be-true. eBay does have an excellent money back guarantee policy for buyers, but scammers that know what they are doing can make things difficult for buyers to get their money back.

See here for some good instructions about what you can do about false tracking, for instance:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/What-do-you-do-when-ebay-support-will-not-help-you/m-p/340803...

You can avoid many issues by choosing to only do business with sellers that have a proven track record of delivering what was sold and that have sold similar sorts of items before, and by avoiding new or unproven sellers, sellers with a pattern of serious negative feedback, or sellers that have drastically changed behavior or that have unexplained gaps in selling feedback.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Is this the same problem you have been posting about for a month?

Did you ever open a case with Pay Pal, if that's how you paid or your credit card?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@1765gt,

This is the 7th or 8th topic you have posted about the same issue going back to February 15th, not counting this one and one on the Mentor board posted today I'm going to link 3 links below that have instructions you should have followed that would have allowed you to win an appeal, there is also information on how to appeal an appeal in some of them.

There are also instructions on how to find your older posts in some of the more recent ones, in case you couldn't find them.  The three links posted below have the answers you needed to win the appeal, and appeal an appeal.

2/27/24:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/A-problem-with-USPS-you-need-to-know-about/td-p/34315831

2/20/24:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/eBay-owes-Explanation-and-Apology/td-p/34302912

2/19/24:  https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/eBay-s-Inability-to-Detect-Fraud/td-p/34299826

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sellers & buyers wanted

Some O feedback sellers may possibly be replacements for some of those good sellers who became inactive due to their unhappiness with the negative impact  that ebay's autopay offer & auction policies had on paying buyers 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

New sellers have restrictions on the number and value of their listings.

New sellers have a Hold on their customer's payment for up to 30 days.

Buyers have 30 days from delivery or last estimated date for delivery to open Claims. (This is true of any transaction.)

If a buyer somehow misses that deadline, they can open a Claim with Paypal  for 180 days from Payment.

If they did not use PP, they can start a chargeback on the credit card they actually used. Most cards allow 180 days from payment but some (Amex) allow more and some low end cards allow less.

Debit cards and gift cards have no ability to refund and should not be used for purchases made online.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I've had some great transactions with 0 feedback sellers. So no, we "don't all know that", because it's simply not true. And as a longer-time-than-you loyal client I don't expect eBay to protect me. I know it's up to me to take the steps to protect myself.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I can NOT recall a single zero-feedback seller that ever stiffed me. 

I DO recall the many zero-feedback sellers that I first purchased from and then retained as my favorite go-to's. Most now having 3 or 4 digit feedbacks. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply