cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was my offer not reasonable?

$20 on a $25 item? I mean, they could have countered. But no, it just expired after 24 hours. Suppose they are away or something, but maybe I'll try $15 next, to see if I get a reaction then.

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Was my offer not reasonable?

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@atikovi wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

The seller can charge whatever amount they want and you have the option of hitting the back button and finding another seller with the price you like.

Do you not understand the concept of best offer? Instead if hitting the back button you hit best offer.

I think many people have tried to explain to you that sellers may have not placed the "best offer" on their listings.  While many folks understand the concept of best offer, they also understand the concept of getting unsolicited offers on items they feel are low enough.  I know it must be difficult for people who feel they must get a lower deal than the already low deal they are seeing, but in seeking such they may find their selves on a seller's BBL. 

I think I have tried to explain that if this person puts me on a BBL, I won't sweat it. An uncommunicative seller isn't someone I probably want to deal with anyway. There are 180 million other users on Ebay I can buy from. A date sensitive item that has already expired only goes down in value. In 6 months when the 2020 book comes out they won't get $10 for it.

Message 61 of 70
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:
I recently made a BO on a secondhand shirt. The shirt was potentially collectible, but it was used, so I had no idea how valuable it was to the seller. I ended up not going through the official BO, but writing to the seller and asking what he thought was a reasonable price to let it go for. He came down a fair amount and I said Thank you and bought!

I guess that was lucky for you.  I, however, would have probably advised you that I considered my asking price to be reasonable.  Or simply blocked you depending on how you worded your offer.

By the way, it wasn't all that long ago that eBay considered making an offer on an item when the seller hadn't included the BO option in the listing to be an attempt by the buyer to work an off-eBay deal.  Something they dealt with very severely.  However, they have now done a 180 on that policy and have even begun adding the BO option themselves.  Go figure!  Of course, eBay has been known to swing back and forth so the pendulum could swing back the other way. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 62 of 70
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Sellers are not ordinarily listing items as a way of begging people to take them off their hands.  They are offering their goods for sale at the price they named.   

This isn't Walmart or Best Buy with brand new items. Most sellers and buyers of used merchandise understand prices or values are subjective. Why do you think an offer on Best Offer is "begging people to take them off their hands"? I guess that attitude is why some unsold items on my watch list are still being listed with the same price as 3 years ago.

There are quite a few sellers here on eBay that are not selling used merchandise that they had laying around their attic.  While this may have been the case back in the early days of eBay, it certainly isn't now.

The value of a an item is what someone is freely willing to pay for it and what someone is freely willing to sell it for.  

Message 63 of 70
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@atikovi wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

The seller can charge whatever amount they want and you have the option of hitting the back button and finding another seller with the price you like.

Do you not understand the concept of best offer? Instead if hitting the back button you hit best offer.

I think many people have tried to explain to you that sellers may have not placed the "best offer" on their listings.  While many folks understand the concept of best offer, they also understand the concept of getting unsolicited offers on items they feel are low enough.  I know it must be difficult for people who feel they must get a lower deal than the already low deal they are seeing, but in seeking such they may find their selves on a seller's BBL. 

I think I have tried to explain that if this person puts me on a BBL, I won't sweat it. An uncommunicative seller isn't someone I probably want to deal with anyway. There are 180 million other users on Ebay I can buy from. A date sensitive item that has already expired only goes down in value. In 6 months when the 2020 book comes out they won't get $10 for it.

I guess I'm unclear why the post?  Why wouldn't you just have bought from one of the other 180 million users on eBay?  Or you can just wait the 6 months and then offer them $10.00 for it.

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

Not sure how it could be clearer why the post. Seller listed item for $25 with best offer. I offered $20 which many here suggest is reasonable. Seller doesn't respond. No counter offer, no reply. I wanted to know if my offer was reasonable. 

Message 65 of 70
latest reply

And how would we know just based on percentage off. What’s the going rate? If $200 is the going rate and the seller is asking $25 and you offer $20 ( and eBay changed his listing to accept offers). Then come on, your offer is just insane from a seller standpoint. From a buyer’s view it would be confusing.

If I was the seller, I would decline and go change my listing to accepting no offers.

Just the other day, a seller had a $10 item with best offer. I offered 8$ and declined with no explanation. I figured the BO was placed ebay. $10 was a good price, so I did BIN. I didn’t feel like the seller needed to explain anything to me.
Message 66 of 70
latest reply

$200 is not the going rate for this item.

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Not sure how it could be clearer why the post. Seller listed item for $25 with best offer. I offered $20 which many here suggest is reasonable. Seller doesn't respond. No counter offer, no reply. I wanted to know if my offer was reasonable. 

I'm not sure if the seller considered your offer to be unreasonable or not.  Since the seller did not deem it worthy of a reply, we may never know.  The seller simply decided to exercise his right to ignore it and let it expire.   However, your reluctance to accept that may have something to do with some sellers not accepting your offers in the future.

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

I had place a bit above the selling rate for an item that was priced retail as new but used, the item was an OBiHAI OBiTALK OBi200 back in April retail price was 49.99 the seller had it as a buy it now for 50.00 remember this is used with out all the accessories as a new the going rate for a used one of these was 37.50, I placed a offer for 40.00 the seller refused my offer, a few days later I get a notification that the price was discounted to 40.00, and the item sold for 40.00 or less. Man I could have gotten it for less but since the seller declined my offer I refused to place another bid and at the same time I actually ended up buying a brand new one at retail price from a competition to eBay, which shall remain nameless but its the 3rd longest river and in a rain forest, gee I wonder what that is. It also came the very next day too after I ordered it. 

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

Been here nearly 20 years buying and selling. Never made an offer or bid on anything and found I was blocked. Not too worried with some sellers not accepting my offers in the future. Unless it's a one of a kind unique item which I don't usually buy, I can find it from other sellers or other venues. If they don't want to sell it for a few dollars less with a best offer, that's their choice, but don't be surprised if that item is still listed in 6 or 12 months. I know I have some items I started listing 2,3 or even 5 years or more ago.

Message 70 of 70
latest reply