cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to pay for Make and Offer Item w/ PayPal Credit

I recently purchased an item on Ebay. This was done through make an offer. It was new to me that ebay now requires a method of payment be chose when making an offer so there could be instant payment. I have Paypal Credit set as my default payment method in Paypal. When I selected paypal as my chose form of payment, much to my surprise it charged the item directly to my checking account and not to my paypal credit.

When I buy art or expensive antiques, as I often do, over $100, I typically use paypal's 6 monnth interest free financing. I am unable to do that if I make an offer on a piece and cannot use credit. 

When experimenting with anoth item I intended to make an offer on today, tried to edit the paypal option and fond that I could only select my checking account and not paypal credit. I called ebay and they informed me the issue is on Paypal's end and that they still allow paypal credit to pay for make an offer items.

I have paid for offer items for 10 years or more and usually find paypal/ebay updates to be user friendly, but I cannot figure this issue out myself and the same confusion seems prominent on self help chatboards.

Has anyone found a solution? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@thelastvictorian15 

PayPay credit is not an option when forced into Auto-Pay.  Either is PayPal Pay in 4, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Spendable Funds,  etc.  and if you wish to make offers on more multiple items  from the same seller you have to pay full shipping on each one.  

Sellers that wish to encourage buyers of multiple items via offers or auctions can remove the blocks eBay put on their accounts with a default set to yes.  Many sellers don't even know those preferences are there. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@thelastvictorian15 

FWIW, you retain those buyer blocks on your own items you have for sale. So if your buyers want to make offers, their payment options will be restricted as well.  

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the information, I was beginning to deduce that, but it does not seem that there is a lot of literature, announcements, or "how to"s to this regard. Been using Ebay for 10+ years an always thought changes made sense/were logical. This one seems almost hidden and frustrating. I understand their effort is to get sellers paid for quickly because some people offer and back out, but I can't see how this doesn't frustrate the process/cause a reduction in sales and people try to navigate this frustration.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I agree.  Just ran into this issue and been a member for 15+ years.  I usually have to work with seller to be able to use PayPal Credit.  I am disappointed to see this new make offer feature.  I hope it fades away.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@thelastvictorian15 wrote:

Thank you for the information, I was beginning to deduce that, but it does not seem that there is a lot of literature, announcements, or "how to"s to this regard. Been using Ebay for 10+ years an always thought changes made sense/were logical. This one seems almost hidden and frustrating. I understand their effort is to get sellers paid for quickly because some people offer and back out, but I can't see how this doesn't frustrate the process/cause a reduction in sales and people try to navigate this frustration.

Because in these days of MP, ebay can't get their cut until it's paid for.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This sucks and I couldn’t agree more, I have PayPal Credit set for this very purpose to buy bigger items on EBay and was shocked my checking acct was charged when an offer was accepted, had to explain that one to the wife. Lol. So we can’t use PayPal credit when OFFERS ARE MADE ANS ACCEPTED CORRECT ? Stupid feature and I spent 30min making sure I had PayPal credit set correct, ugghh 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

SOLVED. I too recently made an offer on an item and had been using PayPal credit with no problems. E-bay required pre-authorized payment if the offer was accepted.  If I were to use PayPal as my payment method - E-Bay would not accept PayPal credit and only would allow me to place the offer if the PayPal payment was immediately taken from my bank account. E-Bay said it was for offers only - and this turned out not to be true. It changed my PayPal funding method universally and I could no longer pay using PayPal credit. After numerous failed attempts to change things back - I  finally just eliminated PayPal from my E-Bay wallet. Now when I checkout it gives me a generic PayPal option that takes me to PayPal website where I complete the purchase on PayPal. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply