cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is a new scam going on & Ebay is protecting it

There is a new scam that is going on against buyers & Ebay is not only allowing it, they protect it.

The new scam. A seller with sell an item. (Mainly collectibles where the value increases rapidly). The seller will then mark the item to ship weeks later so that the seller can sit on the item to watch if the value increases. They use third party shippers so that they can load a tracking number that is never updated. If the item they sold increases in value, they will take the item & relist it for the new increased price & never ship it to the original buyer. They then wait for the buyer to open a case & then refund the buyer. Ebay sees this as resolves and does nothing to the seller. (Because they make ebay more money). If the item doesn't increase in value, the seller finally ships it weeks after the estimated shipping window. The fact that there are so many optional buy sell sites to use & Ebay still allows this even with the competition is astounding. So be wary. Read feed back of sellers. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@8bit-legacy 

There's a huge hole in this theory. Every purchase has estimated delivery dates based on the seller's stated handling time. You can see these dates before you make the purchase. So the seller doesn't have weeks to ship unless they've set the listing up with a 30-day handling time, which you can determine before you buy. On the day after the last estimated delivery date the buyer can open an item not received case. It doesn't matter if the seller has marked it shipped or it has a tracking number. If the tracking doesn't show it delivered, the buyer wins. There's no opportunity for the seller to ship it "weeks later".

As for eBay doing nothing about it, there are 1.7 billion listings on the site. You seriously think they're going to keep track of how much an item appreciates before a refund is issued?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That's all fine and dandy, but who likes buying items only to get your money back weeks later? And if the buyer is forced to open to many cases, due to no fault of their own, ebay will consider them abusive based on a percentage and can possibly lose their MBG protection. I try to avoid opening cases as much as I can for that reason.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

That's all fine and dandy, but who likes buying items only to get your money back weeks later? And if the buyer is forced to open to many cases, due to no fault of their own, ebay will consider them abusive based on a percentage and can possibly lose their MBG protection. I try to avoid opening cases as much as I can for that reason.

I've been on eBay for 27 years, buying primarily collectibles. In that time I think I've opened three not received cases. If you have to open so many cases that eBay looks askance at you, you're not bothering to even try to vet your sellers. That's on you. And I'm still waiting to hear how eBay is supposed to track how much an item has appreciated.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Agreed.  I've been on here since 2010, buying habit the same as yours.  I've opened one INR case here.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

With all those negative & neutral FBs on this seller, all with the same issue you've had, why did you buy from them??

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

That one seller has a 1 day handling time and if they don't ship within their handling time, Ebay does notice and it does affect their account.

If the seller gets a lot of INR's filled on them, it affects their account.

You can avoid a lot of those problems by checking their feedback.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I'm not sure why anyone would buy anything from that seller... 

I have never heard of eBay holding INR cases against the buyer since their is proof they never got the item, and it's not like they had anything to do with shipping. The type of cases they would hold against the buyer would be for abusing the MBG on returns. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply