cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The seller suggested partial refund but it's to small

If I decline a suggested partial refund will I be able to discuss another sum? A laptop was bought and one of the speakers doesn't work. I've opened a return request and the seller suggested the cost of the speaker to replace (it's cheap). But nobody will repair a laptop for me for free - I'll also have to pay for the work...

So can I discuss it on the next step or accept or decline only?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: The seller suggested partial refund but it's to small

@alexfre_5517,

This is the third topic you have posted on this subject. This question is basically the same one you asked in your other topic posted yesterday.  What you should have done was to call a couple of repair shops describe the issue and then asked for a partial refund based on their estimate for the repair.

One of the answers in your earlier topic brought up something I did not consider and that is that most computer's onboard speakers do not have balance controls for right and left channels.

An external speaker system would have some kind of control and if that is what is not working, then the issue is probably not with the computer but with the external speaker's plug or volume control knob.  If you jiggle the speaker plug or volume control knob around and hear sound coming from both sides, it is the speakers that aren't working, not the computer.  Unfortunately, even some of the brand name speakers have cheap connector wires/plugs, and control knob pots.  If you do not get sound on both channels when you jiggle the knob or plug then it could be the computer's receptacle that is not working.  I would opt for the return in that case.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

> This is the third topic you have posted on this subject.

Because I haven't received a clear answer. Now I have a suggestion of £10 from the seller (yes, he at least accepted my evidence and agreed that it's the issue).
I consider it simply offensive and don't hope to receive fair compensation already. Now I just don't want to let the seller laugh at me too much. And also to  learn how it works on Ebay. If the final word from Ebay will be 10gbp - I prefer to decline this compensation and carry the expenses for the repair myself. 

> What you should have done was to call a couple of repair shops describe the issue and then asked for a partial refund based on their estimate for the repair.

I've asked already. And found out the price before turning to the seller - If it would be about his suggestion I even wouldn't waste time writing to him. Speaker is cheap. Work isn't.

> that is that most computer's onboard speakers do not have balance controls for right and left channels.

Every Windows system has the balance control.
It's a Windows built in feature (Control panel - > Sound, then select the device, then Device control and there is balance for sound channel). You may check it on your own if you are using a Win system. 

I've turned on a movie, heard that something is wrong and checked. When moving balance to the right - no sound at all. To the left - everything works. 
Then plugged my headphones to check if it was a sound card (onboard sound chip) or speakers. Headphones played well and balance control also worked. 
Everything was clear - it was the speaker. 

Of course all this I've done before turning to the seller. Then I made the video and showed it to him. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Please do not take this personally, but I find it hard to understand why some buyers will leave themselves open to negotiations with the seller, unless the item is super rare and the buyer wants it super badly.

eBay offers the Money Back Guarantee.  Buyer opens an item not as described case.    Waits 4 days, then returns to the case and requests that eBay step in.  Is refunded.  No need for back-and-forth with the seller.  That often is a calculated method by the seller to let this drag on beyond 30 days.  Even if the seller responds promptly, if his response  involves a partial refund etc, buyer can refuse or ignore it.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@alexfre_5517 wrote:

Now I have a suggestion of £10 from the seller (yes, he at least accepted my evidence and agreed that it's the issue). 

Are you actually @alexfre_5517 seeing a one-time-only partial refund offer 

ra876999_0-1701207891554.jpeg

or is this negotiating only through messaging, which means you'll likely not even gain that 10 pounds? 

@alexfre_5517 wrote:

I consider it simply offensive and don't hope to receive fair compensation already. Now I just don't want to let the seller laugh at me too much. And also to  learn how it works on Ebay.

If the final word from Ebay will be 10gbp - I prefer to decline this compensation and carry the expenses for the repair myself.  

But you're willing to gamble "If the final word from Ebay will be 10gbp" as the outcome 

ra876999_1-1701208158731.jpeg

go ahead to decline the partial refund offer/immediately ask eBay to step in and help, to make the decision. Several possibilities follow e.g. eBay requires a return, the seller fails/cannot provide a prepaid return label, you get a full refund and keep the laptop.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The final word from eBay will be 'return for a full refund or accept the seller's offer'. Ebay never gets involved with partial refunds; they simply facilitate the process if the seller and buyer both want that option. But all eBay will enforce is a return for a full refund. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Of Course, you are right. But unfortunately I needed this item and didn't have time to reorder it in another place.

And now the seller already accepted the request, notified me that he cannot provide me with a shipping label and suggested that I ship it myself and let him know the cost. )))

It looks like I have no choice but to accept the smaller losses with the repair. All the rest is even worse.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@alexfre_5517 wrote:

If the final word from Ebay will be 10gbp - I [would] prefer to decline this compensation and carry the expenses for the repair myself

And now the seller already accepted the request, notified me that he cannot provide me with a shipping label and suggested that I ship it myself and let him know the cost. )))

It looks like I have no choice but to accept the smaller losses with the repair. All the rest is even worse. 

Nope, this is exactly what you wanted. You will not be repaid @alexfre_5517 if you pay for return shipping yourself. And now you are stuck, with no button available to ask eBay to step in, as you were tricked. 

qeqo_0_0-1701257919562.jpeg

Instead leave a PRIVATE message here for eBay at Facebook, and tell eBay that "the seller has not provided a return shipping label" in one sentence. Just that, a brief message to eBay.

Do no talk to the seller again, just wait for your return label. Then if the seller sends a return label (they won't) you can just not send it back "and carry the expenses for the repair myself" exactly as you gambled you might have to do -- so you already expected that.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Please do not take this personally, but I find it hard to understand why some buyers will leave themselves open to negotiations with the seller, unless the item is super rare and the buyer wants it super badly.

eBay offers the Money Back Guarantee.  Buyer opens an item not as described case.    Waits 4 days, then returns to the case and requests that eBay step in.  Is refunded.  No need for back-and-forth with the seller.  That often is a calculated method by the seller to let this drag on beyond 30 days.  Even if the seller responds promptly, if his response  involves a partial refund etc, buyer can refuse or ignore it.

Most buyers work with sellers when there is something slightly wrong, because those buyers are decent people. They understand that not everything is the fault of the seller, and there might be a mutually beneficial agreement to be made. I don’t understand the knee jerk response to everyone that they should file for a return and get all of their money back, especially when there is just a slight issue.understood that some posters have one tool in their toolbox. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply