cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target to close stores across states.

Target to close stores across states. Doomsday. 

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

I saw that..due to a huge increase in shoplifting.Affecting profits Im sure.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 62
latest reply

They are closing nine stores, which will leave them with only 1,949 stores in the US.

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

They are closing nine stores, which will leave them with only 1,949 stores in the US.

Oh wow, definitely Doomsday. Better start stocking up on survival supplies.😅😆😂🙄

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

I love Target.  Glad mine isn't on the list!  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

9  stores out of almost 2000?
A simple search shows Target opened 23 new stores last year.
And is planning on opening 20 this year. 
While they're claiming "theft" as a main culprit, it goes a little deeper than that. In every major city across the US, areas/neighborhoods age. As they do, folks that can afford it move to the new "hot" areas with their sparkly new cookie cutter subdivisions. And they take their $$ with them, which leaves the "neighborhood" poorer.
A perfect example is the store they're closing in Harlem. The economic viability just isn't there anymore. But meanwhile they're building 4 new stores in different Burroughs of NY City. 
You go where the money is.
We used to go to a Wal-Mart in a small town near us. It was one of the small, old ones. As the population of a city 12 miles down the road exploded, most of the "money" moved there. Businesses moved there. And the town became "poorer".
Wal-Mart opened a Supercenter in the "booming"city. 
And one day Wal-Mart announced they were closing "our" store. And they did. 
Just a economic cycle which Wal-Mart/ Target deal with all the time if they're forward thinking.
I wish I could blame losing "our" Wal-Mart on one thing.
But I can't. 

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

More like moving them to areas with less five finger discount.

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

Everything you say is true.  However, I do believe these closures are different, or at least have a prominent added dimension, in Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco.  Those are all cities which have huge problems with crime, having dealt with it ineffectually for the past decade or more.  So, I believe Target when it says that the closures in those three cities are due to shoplifting, organized retail theft, and looting.

Not that it's only the West Coast with such problems.  I live in PA, and I assume you saw the news from Philadelphia yesterday:  An eight-hour spree of ransacking and trashing retail stores.

-

-

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

I live in San Francisco and the store closing here is because it does not generate enough of sales...period.  

A store always has theft...this Target just doesn't makes enough in sales to stay open.

And living in San Francisco we have no Walmarts or those ".99 cent" stores where a million people live...why...the rich would never shop there...plus minumin rate per hour is $18.07 here in the city.

I have never been to that Target Store closing. 

In fact, there is only one fast food place 10 blocks from me...Burger King...that's it.

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

@bryo_3145,

All 9 of the stores are in high crime rate locations and have high theft rates.  They can't arm the security guards, so they close the stores.

DOOMSDAY ??

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement or over reaction?

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 62
latest reply

People who can afford to move to new “hot” subdivisions, don’t shop at target…🧐

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

Or maybe they DO shop at Target because their new increased house payment with increased real estate taxes has limited their disposable income.  

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

... their new increased house payment with increased real estate taxes has limited their disposable income.  

That, and inflation has undermined, and continues to undermine, the value of what little disposable income they do have left. 

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Target was asked to provide numbers on increase instances of shoplifting in these stores.    They did not.  These stores were all poor performing.

On line fraud,   makes the 5 finger discount  pale in comparison.

This might also be Target trying to pile on the crime garbage to get a Republican back in the White House so they can get those tax breaks back that gave them such a great return.

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

Just to think all those poor people have to transfer or look for other jobs. "Doomsday." Back in the day when a man stole a man's horse there was a public hanging.  I'm amazed at those people working at those retail stores of what they had to endure with the all the theft, life threating situations, plus the cost of living in those major cities. 

Message 15 of 62
latest reply