cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious selling practice? Let me know what you think.

Purchase an item B.I.N. for $130 plus shipping. Item arrives very well packed with no damage to the box. One of the parts stated working doesn't and some minor cosmetic damage not shown or mentioned in the listing.

I contact seller in a friendly manner before initiating a return since I could deal with the problems, but would not have paid the $174 including shipping if known.

Seller replies everything was fine before shipping and states it must have happened in transit. Immediately refunds my entire cost and opens a damage claim with the carrier.

It would be near impossible for the defective part and minor cosmetic damage to happen in transit without other more fragile parts breaking. I inform them of this, but they are so sure the carrier is at fault.

Carrier comes to pick up item and packaging next morning. I have not repackaged it yet, so they schedule another attempt today.

I repack it as close to the way it was and check my account page on the shipper's site to make sure I'll be there to hand it over. Information regarding the claim is also shown. No one from the shipping company contacted me about anything regarding claim, so I've provided none of the information they need to process it.

Seller claims value of item is $399 and has submitted 10 documents. Unfortunately, I am unable to see the submitted documents.

The listing identified the model of the item incorrectly. I knew this before buying, it was the reason I bought it. At the time I assumed seller didn't know what model it was, but now I'm not so sure.

I contacted the shipper regarding the claim because I don't want to be anywhere near something that could be questionable. Let the seller know (through eBay messages) and they reply remarking how the shipper likes to "negotiate down" on claims. Item is now in the possession of the carrier and I wonder if,  because of this time of year, they might just pay it out.

Does this seem a bit sketchy to you as well? Thanks for your input.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Suspicious selling practice? Let me know what you think.

@pskaudio wrote:

The seller declared the value of the item at $399 according to the claim details on the shipper's site. Again, item sold here for $130 plus shipping of $44.

As a seller. I never declare a higher value than the selling price. It's one of those risks we all take selling here if an item gets damaged or lost during shipping.

That would be something for the claims adjuster to work out with the seller.  Unless, you are ordered by the courts to furnish a copy of the paid invoice I wouldn't concern myself.  I'm sure that the insurance people have ways of determining the value of a claim.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Suspicious selling practice? Let me know what you think.

Claim was denied.

There is nothing good about this situation. While too many legitimate claims are also denied, the continuing attempt to file false claims only hurts those of us who do our best to make sure the items we sell arrive safely in the customer's hands.

Most buyers and sellers are decent, honest people who are not trying to take advantage of the system. Sometimes it does seem that those of us who follow they rules get screwed while those who don't get rewarded. I say that not as a buyer, but a seller.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 17 of 17
latest reply