cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppressed searches based on IP #?

I live in Alaska (Juneau to be exact) and have been monitoring some similar products that I am selling - keeping an eye on selling price, etc.

What's interesting is that I can no longer search for these items on my laptops/computers. I've used both Chrome & IE.  I've logged out, I've looked at all my settings for searches.   But when I search, it only appears as 1 or 2 items.   Then, I go hop on my cell phone (Tmobile) using cellular data, and do a search on the mobile site, yet 30-40 items appear.

I've also checked to see if I am logged in on my browser in my phone - and I am.  

Is Ebay now limiting sales based on IP address? 

I've checked a lot of the items on my phone to see if they don't ship to Alaska, and that's not the case.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@flhiker79 wrote:

It is very unlikely. The only explanation is if you have been restricted for an Ebay violation and even then they would have warned you. As far as not finding something no one can answer without you giving some items you are looking for. Ebay does not hide items as that is a fallacy. Maybe something to do with your provider being n Alaska ?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@flhiker79,

You say you were logged in on your phone's browser,  using the T-Mobile data plan,   Wich device do you use most oftencomputer & wi-fi or the phone? When you logged in on your phone were you using the app, or did you log into the whole site the classic way? 

W

Also did you use the exact same search words in the same order on both devices? 

Sometimes with ebay's "intuitive" search changing, adding, deleting, one word, will produce different numbers of results.  I recently encountered that when using an Advanced search for an item I was planning on listing.

The first search for both current and completed listings, using the Mfr name, Mpn, and box title, returned no results at all.

I deleted one word from the box title, searched again and was shown 2 previously sold items. Switching to current listings I found 4 currently listed items.

I changed the category from toys & hobbies, to collectibles, and was shown one more completed item, and two more current ones, though the current ones were different items from exactly what I was searching for.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Also if you stick to just searching "best match" that will make a difference. They won't hide your listings assuming you change your search to ending soonest, lowest cost etc. Best match is tailored to each individual so results will always be in different order. You phone search will display differently than your computer search. Once again we need items you cannot find to help you find them.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@flhiker79 wrote:

It is very unlikely. The only explanation is if you have been restricted for an Ebay violation and even then they would have warned you. As far as not finding something no one can answer without you giving some items you are looking for. Ebay does not hide items as that is a fallacy. Maybe something to do with your provider being n Alaska ?

When did ebay start restricting search results because a buyer committed violations?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply