cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started to purchase an item

I was getting ready to pay for an item when a new page popped up and didn't offer PayPal, only credit cards, was wondering if this is a new ebay policy or did the seller just not want to use PayPal?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Started to purchase an item

It is possible that the seller is enrolled in managed payments and cannot accept PayPal payments.  Did you check the payment and shipping tab before committing to the purchase?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I have found a better way:  I add to the search url at top of page and go again with an enter button, just eliminating ALL who do not accept paypal from the search results. I then see no items from anyone in managed payments. Used to be we could select a search filter that said "accepts paypal"  It has been gone for months now since ebay began managed payments beta. Just have to create your own filter now, but it works.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

I have found a better way:  I add to the search url at top of page and go again with an enter button, just eliminating ALL who do not accept paypal from the search results. I then see no items from anyone in managed payments. Used to be we could select a search filter that said "accepts paypal"  It has been gone for months now since ebay began managed payments beta. Just have to create your own filter now, but it works.

I still recommend always reading the payment and shipping tab since it is part of the listing.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Recommend away. Why bother? The search criteria I am using eliminates all who do not accept it. I, like many other buyers will not buy if the seller does not accept the only form of payment  I intend to use on ebay. I am not going to nickel/dime my credit cards all over the internet and risk data breaches. Credit cards are for travel things like car rental (required to rent but not to pay), and making airline and hotel reservations. I look (glance) or kind of read,  to make sure my exclusion filter worked before I put an item in my cart or even bid on it. Additionally, I bookmark all of my repeat searches in my browser once modified and will continue to use those forever or until ebay gets the paypal and managed payments sorted out if they ever do. Ebay said years ago that paypal was the secure way to pay...They were right so far!!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

It just kinda caught me off guard since I've been buying on ebay for several years and never ran across it until that one item.  I guess I'll have to pay closer attention in the future.  Thanks, all

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

Recommend away. Why bother? The search criteria I am using eliminates all who do not accept it. I, like many other buyers will not buy if the seller does not accept the only form of payment  I intend to use on ebay. I am not going to nickel/dime my credit cards all over the internet and risk data breaches. Credit cards are for travel things like car rental (required to rent but not to pay), and making airline and hotel reservations. I look (glance) or kind of read,  to make sure my exclusion filter worked before I put an item in my cart or even bid on it. Additionally, I bookmark all of my repeat searches in my browser once modified and will continue to use those forever or until ebay gets the paypal and managed payments sorted out if they ever do. Ebay said years ago that paypal was the secure way to pay...They were right so far!!

The point I was trying to make is that one should always read and understand the entire listing before committing to a purchase.  Whether or not you only use PayPal to pay for purchases online is entirely up to you.  But reading the complete listing is, in my opinion, a good practice and I'll continue to recommend it to all buyers.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

You can check the listing page.  Right where it would say Paypal, it won't say that if the seller is in Managed Payments.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Understood.  It is just to get that one "gotcha" out of the way so I can then examine a listing and properly "vet" a seller:  99% or better feedback; NO "snarky" replies to buyer feedback that demean buyers' intelligence, skillset, or other required knowledge to properly buy or use the item; no blaming the buyer for a wrong item being shipped vs the description and pix in the listing, etc.;  prompt shipping, no superflous addons to shipping charges to use my money for the ebay shipping override.  In actuality, I usually find about 99.3-99.4% is the bottom end of the envelope for seller ratings for me to continue with a purchase, and that is with zero "snarky" comment replies to buyers' feedback, including  neg, neutral or positive.

I finally gave a newbie seller a negative a few days ago (5th one ever on here). Failed to vet the seller.  Product never shipped.  I bought, paid, waited past delivery date, messaged seller 3x, no reply opened not received case, ebay dealt with it for a week, seller did not furnish them proof of shipment either. Ebay did full refund MBG on day 9 after original arrival estimate. Seller shows several sales since 01/01/19,  2 of them got feedback.....both negative.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I  liked what you said. Your not going to nickel and dime your credit card. ME TOO. I use credit cards for emergency items. A tire, maybe a big item. I buy a lot of cheap items for supplies. 5 bucks,3 bucks etc. Can you imagine that garbage on the credit card. I'm done here shopping when paypal gets eliminated. I will also be done as a seller when ebay holds the money and decides to play bankSTER.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I am not going to nickel/dime my credit cards all over the internet and risk data breaches. Credit cards are for travel things like car rental (required to rent but not to pay), and making airline and hotel reservations. 

One word comes to mind:  Marriott

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Othersignificant data breaches come to mind for me: Marriott, Home Depot, Yahoo, Equifax,  TJX (Marshalls, TJ Maxx), JP MOrgan Chase, Mardel's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart,Target, Ebay, et. al.  Yes, Ebay....they insisted we change our passwords a few years ago cause they were unable to tell the extent of the user data compromised or exactly when it happened but knew they were hacked. The Ebay breach affected 145 million users in 2014. PayPal was NOT affected and we did not need to change our personal info with them.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

Othersignificant data breaches come to mind for me: Marriott, Home Depot, Yahoo, Equifax,  TJX (Marshalls, TJ Maxx), JP MOrgan Chase, Mardel's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart,Target, Ebay, et. al.  Yes, Ebay....they insisted we change our passwords a few years ago cause they were unable to tell the extent of the user data compromised or exactly when it happened but knew they were hacked. The Ebay breach affected 145 million users in 2014. PayPal was NOT affected and we did not need to change our personal info with them.

You said you used credit cards only for travel/hotel reservations.  I was pointing out that Marriott, a hotel conglomerate, had a huge data breach recently.  So, credit cards are in danger wherever they are used.

I'm amazed that there aren't more credit card issues from - example - handing a card to the waitstaff in a restaurant.  My husband, who is sooo word-for-rear-end-that-will get-bleeped about all kinds of security and theft and all that, will slip that card-with-no-limits-no-questions-ever-asked into a little holder thingy and not give it a thought when it disappears for 10 or 15 minutes.

If the DoD and OPM can get hacked, paypal most certainly can get hacked.  Thankfully, that hasn't happened as far as we know, although ebay did tell us to change paypal passwords after the ebay hack.  Ebay told us that  months after the ebay hack ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I recommend backing Paypal accounts with a credit card.

Not only does it mean that the seller is paid immediately (no e-check delay between banks), but I also have a third line of Buyer Protection after eBay's Money Back Guarantee and Paypal's Buyer Protection Program.

Does anyone have any information on the Managed Payments protections for buyers and for sellers?

I'm assuming that financial information is anonymized, of course.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@transamcc wrote:

Your personal info is safe: Aydun is in the Nederlands, sorry couldn't spell that.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply