cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam listings

One of my saved searches is for Moto Guzzi motorcycle parts, which I would think is pretty specific.  The problem happens when I go to look at the latest listings that match those search terms, and I get nothing but spam!

What I don't understand is why a given seller, who often appears to be from overseas, would list a part for a 50cc-powered Chinese scooter and claim that it "fits Moto Guzzi Breva", when it so obviously does not, and never will.  This same listing is duplicated over and over, and clogs up the category to the point that I don't even bother to scroll down, I know it will be the same thing over and over and over.  Intermixed with them are hundreds of ads from different sellers all hawking the same cheap aftermarket brake and clutch levers and mirrors and turn signals, none of which are direct factory replacement parts, but all of which will "fit Moto Guzzi Breva".

Ebay has an obvious self interest in accepting spam ads that have nothing to do with the category in which they are advertised, but don't you see how it hurts your reputation for being able to find a wide variety of things when those things are buried in spam?

How does Ebay recognize a spam ad?  What do they do about it?  Do the staff people in charge of eliminating spam even know enough about motorcycles to recognize it?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Spam listings

Ebay employees dont scan listings..bots do.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Spam listings

i dont even bother with saved searches anymore!  if i had to guess, i would say about 10% actually fit, maybe another 20% somehow related but dont really belong and the rest is clogging my searches. if is like bobbing for apples in the porta john. there might be an apple in there but you need to sort threw a lot of **bleep** before you find it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Spam listings

@garthane,

There's no doubt eBay has screwed up it search engine.  However, there are ways to get more specific results.  If your search is worded as you typed it, "Moto Guzzi motorcycle parts". Try dropping Motorcycle from the search, do a search using "Moto Guzzi Breva parts" instead.  Sometimes less gives better results in ebay searches.  When you find a search that returns more relevent results, then save the search so you get fewer extranious results.  Try also filtering your searches to U.S. only in the left column of a search page. 

Good Luck.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply