cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar glasses

I bought 2prs of solar glasses from five-thirty-one, are these fake? I worry about eyesight

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Solar glasses

@gypsy175 

I googled and found this... >> Make sure the glasses have the numbers "ISO 12312- 2" printed on the inside. Do yours? 😎

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

Other online marketplaces have taken down all solar glasses.

Even if properly marked they could be faked.

This is an item you should only buy from trusted sellers. How you would trust an online seller you had never heard of before is a mystery.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

They are unbranded and probably from China.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

We were at ground zero during the 2017 eclipse, and my pair (freebie from City Hall) was made by American Paper Optics in Bartlett, TN. Granted, my pair does have the 'ISO 12312-2' mark.

Mine don't look much different than the pair in question, but I'd be afraid to trust 'from China', too. Sorry, @gypsy175.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

A school district near me had to throw away 3600 pairs that were marked as made by American Paper Optics but were found to be counterfeit… They had been purchased from a “reputable” seller on the River.

At this point, I wouldn’t trust any glasses bought from third party sellers online.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

If you can see through them, do NOT use. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

@gypsy175 

You can get free authentic eclipse glasses, like your public library, etc. Google it.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Solar glasses

Solar glasses

@gypsy175,

If they are the paper frame type, they should have an ISO number of 12312-2 printed on one of the frame temples.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 10
latest reply