cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silence of the "Best Offer" seller

It's been discussed to death, but... Sent in couple of best offers on $300 item. Finally got a counteroffer of $200 on $150 bid. Sent in $175 kind "meet me halfway" offer... Haven't heard from the seller, sent in asked $200 couple of hours before expiration time. There was still silence. Few minutes before expiration time retracted my $200 offer with a heart-felt "Up Yours" to the seller. 

Why would eBay offer cyber space to these people? Obviously, they are clueless as to what customer service supposed to be. They just sit around and waste other's people time. 

Message 1 of 158
latest reply
157 REPLIES 157

Re: Silence of the "Best Offer" seller

@takikawa4wrote:

How did the seller "jerk" you around? By not answering within a couple of hours? Perhaps the seller decided not to sell to you just in case. And, after all, you apparently found the item cheaper from the manufacturer (which, in reality, is a place you probably should have checked before making offers).

Manufacturer's description was not clear. And it was not couple of hours, it was close to 48 hours. 

Message 121 of 158
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@takikawa4wrote:

How did the seller "jerk" you around? By not answering within a couple of hours? Perhaps the seller decided not to sell to you just in case. And, after all, you apparently found the item cheaper from the manufacturer (which, in reality, is a place you probably should have checked before making offers).

I think by the same logic, making a lowball offer, countering a $200 offer with a $175 offer and then offering $200 could be considered jerking the seller around too. No?

No, that's called bidding. 

Message 122 of 158
latest reply

Bidding and making a best offer are two different things.

Message 123 of 158
latest reply

@alexisz402wrote:

@takikawa4wrote:

Manufacturer's description was not clear. And it was not couple of hours, it was close to 48 hours. 

Hmm, you said in your op:

asked $200 couple of hours before expiration time

Message 124 of 158
latest reply

@takikawa4wrote:

@missjen831wrote:

I think by the same logic, making a lowball offer, countering a $200 offer with a $175 offer and then offering $200 could be considered jerking the seller around too. No?

Absolutely. And then retracting the offer with "Up yours". Yikes.

So by this logic every "Best Offer" option on eBay is an invitation to jerk the seller around. It's fine with me, but I think you as a seller must complain to eBay. Along with the miriad of other complains from sellers about low margins, unfair web-page manipulation from eBay, as was described here, etc. 

Message 125 of 158
latest reply

@takikawa4wrote:

Same exactly.

Message 126 of 158
latest reply

@takikawa4wrote:

@alexisz402wrote:

@takikawa4wrote:

Hmm, you said in your op:

asked $200 couple of hours before expiration time

Expiration time for tha listing. Can you please familiarise yourself with how much time the seller has to answer a bid before posting, thank you very much?

Message 127 of 158
latest reply

@alexisz402wrote:

@takikawa4wrote:

Same exactly.

As a licensed auctioneer I can tell you that bidding and making a best offer are not the same thing.  While placing a bid is an offer to buy if it is the winning bid, when making a best offer one is a form of negotiating a price for an object (aka, haggling).  When placing a bid on something being sold at auction one is competing with other bidders, but when haggling one is negotiating one on one with the seller.

Sellers state what they want for their merchandise when the set the asking price.  However, when you attempt to haggle over that price, you are asking the seller to do you a favor and sell it to you for less he has priced it at.  It is doubtful, from what you have stated thus far, that a seller would be inclined to do you such a favor.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 128 of 158
latest reply

@7606denniswrote:

As a licensed auctioneer I can tell you that bidding and making a best offer are not the same thing.  While placing a bid is an offer to buy if it is the winning bid, when making a best offer one is a form of negotiating a price for an object (aka, haggling).  When placing a bid on something being sold at auction one is competing with other bidders, but when haggling one is negotiating one on one with the seller.

Please explain how you arrive at the conclusion that I was only one making best offer. 

Because once there here is more than one person doing that, it becomes an auction.

Message 129 of 158
latest reply

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 130 of 158
latest reply

a half off offer would barely get my attention...and if it did, it would be to add them to the BBL

Message 131 of 158
latest reply

@monster-dealswrote:

a half off offer would barely get my attention...and if it did, it would be to add them to the BBL

Yet, it was accepted and countered. 🙂

Message 132 of 158
latest reply

15%?

That's not even worth the effort to get out of bed.

I'n fact you are probably losing money on every sale.

Message 133 of 158
latest reply

@monster-dealswrote:

15%?

That's not even worth the effort to get out of bed.

I'n fact you are probably losing money on every sale.

It’s different order of magnitude. 15% on $1 mil +. It’s more than anyone on eBay makes in 10 years. 🙂 Times 7 or 8 power plants a year. Did you get a picture? 🙂

Message 134 of 158
latest reply

@alexisz402wrote:

@monster-dealswrote:

Yet, it was accepted and countered. 🙂

lol what? if it was accepted there would be no counter.

Message 135 of 158
latest reply