cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we forget about shopping in the US?

Recently, delivery prices from the USA to Europe and Asia have doubled. Previously, we paid less than $30 for delivery, but now it costs at least $90. Additionally, for sellers in the US, this eBay shipping method is absolutely free. Where is the fairness for the buyer in this?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Should we forget about shopping in the US?

I used to use the USPS for International shipments, but, the International scams got way out of hand, especially due to the lack of reliable tracking and delivery information from international mail services.

International buyers were taking advantage of that to claim non-receipt and get refunds in addition to keeping the items.

So, I stopped selling Internationally.

Then the Ebay International shipping service came along and it is much more expensive for international buyers, maybe to cover the cost and losses from the scams.

Realistically we sellers can't keep losing money on International sales, so the problem is not Ebay or sellers, the problem was caused by crooked buyers and inefficient postal services, and now those international buyers are paying for that.

I get asked if I can use the USPS International shipping to save on shipping costs rather than EIS, and I can, as much as $40 for an item, but, I'm not going to take the risk of losing a $200 item and $50 in shipping.

I'm also not going to risk an item getting lost by international mail services and if Ebay didn't cover that too I would stop selling Internationally again.

I do sell to a number of freight forwarders where I'm only responsible for getting the item to their US distribution center.

We have plenty of scammers here, you can multiply that by a hundred when you ship internationally, it's not worth the risk.

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

"Can you explain your statement that it's free for sellers to use the eBay international program?"

The program (just like the old version, the GSP) does not charge sellers anything to process sold items for international shipping.  Buyers bear these costs and sellers never see the money as it's effectively paid directly to the program.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

I contacted eBay customer support, and they confirmed that the eBay Global program is completely free for sellers in the US.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

I will not ship internationally with the Postal Service or any other carrier. I will not learn the customs regulations for the entire world, will not do customs declarations, and will not try to figure out which countries will do end to end tracking and which do not.

Same. I will, however, make exceptions for buyers in countries where I know that the postal system is a) reliable, and b) has end-to-end tracking, such as Canada, the UK, and Australia.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips 

As usual the eBay CS reps told you incorrect information. Even if a US seller states free USA shipping in their listing, they still have to pay for the shipping label to send it to the eBay consolidation hub once a buyer purchases the item.

If the seller charges for shipping in the USA that cost is added to the amount of the International shipping eBay collects from the buyer.

There is no such thing as Free shipping, it is either rolled into the price of the item (shipping included) or charged for separately.

Either way the buyer ends up paying for it somehow.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

The shipping cost for a magazine weighing just 90 grams and $7. 

Screenshot 2024-04-04 131239.png

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips wrote:

The shipping cost for a magazine weighing just 90 grams and $7. 

Screenshot 2024-04-04 131239.png

@radiolips 

Could you post the item number for this listing. I would assume the seller doesn't have the correct package dimensions applied to the listing. If I saw that shipping cost for a magazine I would hit the back button.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

I sent you link in PM.

Almost all small parcels from the USA have the same cost of shipping abroad, at least to my country.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

Is the shipping higher because you are pre paying VAT in the shipment instead of at your customs?

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

VAT in my country for items from online marketplaces is only paid for parcels worth more than $70; anything below that is not subject to tax. 

The only exceptions to this rule are alcohol and tobacco products.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply