cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping on eBay Price Changes

I’m interested in finding an answer to an issue. Do you ever search for an item, find it at a good price and then when you click on it the price is higher?  Thank you! 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shopping on eBay Price Changes

I have a feeling all are correct in that they are uneducated buyers and they don’t understand when they click on the color/size it is a variation, BUT I don’t think the prices of 0.74 cents is fair either. That is very misleading.  I use the closest to me which helps. I have been watching Mr. Wenig. He seems most interested in very valuable paintings and the shares. He probably sees me as a speck of sand compared to his experience. For us to say anything will do of no good. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

No.

Are you looking at multiple/variation listings? Do you mean the search page says an item is $1, but when you go to the item listing, the variation you want from the drop-down box is $10? (Not sure if my description made any sense . . . )

If that's what you mean, it apparently happens all the time. I don't happen to shop for items that are conducive to those kinds of listings, but other people have complained about it frequently.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

No. Not exactly. I have read where a BIN (one item) is a certain price, but when they click on the ONE product, that product is higher. I’ve read it, but I don’t understand it. I thought I would open up the subject so we can all understand why. Many new buyers seem to be confused or there is an issue. Trying to help buyers.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Sorry, I guess I must not understand the issue. Has it actually happened to you? Or have you just read about it?

If you've read other discussion board threads about the problem, maybe you could post links to those threads?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Curiosity of functionality on eBay. When reading buying, selling, etc., on Google, I have found some interesting issues with buyers. These include buyers who have stated they see a listing with a great price, but when they click on it, the price is much greater. Being a seller, I find myself reading about selling subjects, but I think it’s good to help buyers too. 

The reason I have asked is to help buyers and to understand more of why if that is in fact the issue?  Only speculating, but ask yourself this: Remember a while back someone hijacked Google for the good of those who hired him and when someone would click on it, instead the click would actually take them elsewhere, such as another company.

So I’m curious. For instance, do they click on a listing within eBay and it takes them to another business? IDK? Then I wonder if some listings are overriding another seller’s listing being the cause of the price being different. New, not informed, buyers do not notice the sellers name so they don’t know if they are actually pointed to another seller’s listing?  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Never trust those off-eBay reports of problems.

Many are from former users who refuse to try to understand how the system works and have either messed up their own transactions from lack of understanding or been kicked off the site for multiple violations.

At least here, where active buyers and sellers are posting, more or less in real time, the most egregious misstatements are challenged and corrected.

I agree that those "I clicked on something and the price changed" complaints are probably those sketchey variation listings described above.

There are also advertisements on the eBay site, which cannot be blocked by an adblocker, which do take the buyer to a different site. These companies are not eBay sellers and do pay eBay for the advertising space.

So it is possible to click on a specific listing and get , below the title and picture but above the description and shipping, Similar Sponsored Items and Related Sponsored Items.

This drives sellers nuts, for obvious reasons.

But no overides.  If you click on an item, you go to that item.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes, true. These were on the discussion boards. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I asked earlier if you could post a link to those threads you've run across on the discussion boards.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@cunberlandgapshop4you 

Do you ever search for an item, find it at a good price and then when you click on it the price is higher?

I have seen such an item once -- it was pointed out to me by another poster who was searching for women's boots. There was a buy-it-now item that was listed and appeared in a search for 74 cents (99 cents Canadian). It was a variation listing, but choosing any style variation caused the price to jump up to over $20, and yet the item appeared in a search as costing only 74 cents with no price range at all.

Here is a thread from a month ago where it is mentioned. The thread begins with a discussion of standard price variation listings with price ranges, but at the end there is a screenshot of the search with some 74 cent listings.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/How-to-END-the-scourge-of-multiple-price-listings-and-f...

After a quick search I do not see any current items that show up at only one price in search, cost more when selecting a variation. But here is one ended item that appears to be of that type:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113599490573

Perhaps eBay has closed the loophole that allowed those listings -- at least I hope that is the case.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Interesting. By the way, I like the boots. I’m not sure. I will have to look at some of the links I saved. However, interestingly, I’m in a jam with the same problem that your links display. Not knowing I was entering a lion’s den, I started selling VHC Brands. I truly thought it was unfair to a point I was afraid it was search and browse manipulation and would get me suspended.

I wrote to a seller questioning about fairness. Boy I bit off more than I can chew. She was irate! She then informed me she has an Anchor Store and she had reps and they would take care of me, AND did they ever! I am buried period!!!

So, as it ends up I am selling these products at wholesale prices, BUT because of the variation listings I don’t stand a chance. I have some on auction right now losing money hand over fist with very few views. It’s pretty unfair. I’ve had these products since last April!! I’ve asked eBay to step in but I am ignored. The more I complain, the worse my sales get.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I can’t seem to find the links now. I’m not sure what file I put it in, but I will find them. I was just curious as to really or true?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Search results are not the most up to date displays of the status of listings.  If the BIN price is higher when you click through, check at the top of the Description for a revision history to see if the seller raised the price recently.  If it is for an auction bid price, that would just be a new bid that wasn't reflected in the Search Result price.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have a feeling all are correct in that they are uneducated buyers and they don’t understand when they click on the color/size it is a variation, BUT I don’t think the prices of 0.74 cents is fair either. That is very misleading.  I use the closest to me which helps. I have been watching Mr. Wenig. He seems most interested in very valuable paintings and the shares. He probably sees me as a speck of sand compared to his experience. For us to say anything will do of no good. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I am an educated buyer & EBay is allowing sellers to body shame women for being a larger size than S.  Example is a Zanzea blouse o wanted for $9.49. Click on item, select size and now it’s $13! That’s **bleep** and it is CLASSIC BAIT AND SWITCH WHICH IS ILLEGAL. Sellers, which I am, should be required to post price ranges BEFORE the click so BAIT AND SWITCH is removed on EBay! Stop body shaming people for not being a S! It’s disgusting at best. Good day

Message 15 of 15
latest reply