cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping costs increased after best offer accepted

I noticed that the shipping costs for an item I made a best offer for (and got accepted by seller) increased after either after my offer was made or after offer was accepted.

I made an offer for an item for an offer price of $291.50 and shipping costs of $13.50, making a total of an even $305.00.  As you can see, I made the number $291.50 so that the total could be $305.00 exactly.  In fact, on the 2nd page where I finalized my best offer before submitting it to the seller, I even checked and confirmed that the total was $305.00.

After, hours later, when I was about to check out the item, I saw the item total of item+shipping costs had been increased to $306.90.  I felt a little odd about this, but then I saw that the shipping cost was now $15.40 instead of $13.50.

I wasn't aware that this was allowed, could someone please clarify ?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping costs increased after best offer accepted

Not only is it not allowed, but the seller has no way of changing it after a sale.  It is not possible.  BUT, there is a USPS increase happening tomorrow January 9th.  Usually the new rates start at midnight (don't ask me what time zone, idk).   It affects all sellers, it's just a postal increase.  If your seller is using calculate shipping, I noticed that if I date my label for Monday, the increase was applied (that happened yesterday already), but today I dated the label for today & it did NOT register the postal increase.  

Based on the timing, I would suspect this has something to do with the new postal rates that go into effect tomorrow & it's possible your seller doesn't even know about it.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Not only is it not allowed, but the seller has no way of changing it after a sale.  It is not possible.  BUT, there is a USPS increase happening tomorrow January 9th.  Usually the new rates start at midnight (don't ask me what time zone, idk).   It affects all sellers, it's just a postal increase.  If your seller is using calculate shipping, I noticed that if I date my label for Monday, the increase was applied (that happened yesterday already), but today I dated the label for today & it did NOT register the postal increase.  

Based on the timing, I would suspect this has something to do with the new postal rates that go into effect tomorrow & it's possible your seller doesn't even know about it.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Could it be sales tax, not shipping?  That's just an odd amount to go up.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

That's a possibility too.  As for the postal increase, it's hard to know the amt b/c the increase is different depending on the class & other things.   My label was only 20 cents more for a FC pkg, I think it was around 8oz.  I'm sure you can look up the amount of the increase if you know the class & weight the seller will use, but it's probably not worth your time for $2.   Rest assured, it is something legit in Ebay's billing, not something your seller added after the fact. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have also just had this happen to me.

I accepted an offer for an item of $110 (+ VAT = $132), and was quoted $27.48 shipping, total $159.48.

When I arrive to the payment form, suddenly shipping is now $117.48.

I didn't get a screenshot of the offer acceptance screen, but the item listing still shows an estimated cost much cheaper than the payment form shows me.

I have no idea how to reach eBay about this, but I believe this is not the seller's fault, nor is it my fault.  But something that definitely should be resolved.

Screenshot_2023-08-18_18-09-30.pngScreenshot_2023-08-18_18-06-48.pngScreenshot_2023-08-18_18-06-02.png

Andrew.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

what I’m wondering is this: can a seller increase the shipping price just before accepting an offer? Meaning I see an item that is listed for $100 / $10 shipping and then I offer $80. Can the seller raise the shipping to $30 and then accept my $80 offer? Effectively getting the same price ?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

This! I believe this has happened to me too at least 2 times. This needs to be addressed by eBay ASAP. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@muddynyc 

No, a seller can not raise the cost of postage right before accepting an offer. When a listing has an active offer on it sellers are unable to edit the listing.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thats impossible...the only way shipping cost will change is if the seller revises the shipping portion of a listing. When making an offer shipping is not negotiable.  So if you made an offer and the seller accepted the offer. The shipping you pay will be based on your location if the seller uses calculated shipping. Flat rate shipping costs don't change.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply