cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent a message to seller about item under Cancellation Request but I did not mean to cancel

I wanted to send a message to the seller after the item I purchased was delivered and thought that I could just contact them through Purchase History. I clicked on the item and Contact Seller.

The only option I had was to Request a Cancellation. Really? The item was delivered, and eBay notice showed that it was not possible to cancel the item since it had already been shipped. Okay. There was a button to click if I had further questions. So I did, and there was nothing I could see at the top of the message that it was a Cancellation Request. So, I typed my message as a follow-up to receiving the item. I was very happy with the item and the seller. 

Now it shows on the seller's end that I am requesting to cancel the order, which is a mistake. The seller stated that eBay will follow up with me about it, and I will tell eBay that it is a mistake, and they need other choices besides cancellation. 

So, how does this work? How soon will I hear from eBay regarding this? I do not want the seller to be hurt by this mistake. Honestly, I was just following up to give the seller kudos on a job well done. They say "no good deed goes unpunished." 

So here I am having to fix something that wasn't intended.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sent a message to seller about item under Cancellation Request but I did not mean to cancel

In future, you need only go to the item in your purchase history and select Leave Feedback, no need to contact seller at all.

Not sure how any of this actually happened, hopefully someone will be along shortly that can advise.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Sent a message to seller about item under Cancellation Request but I did not mean to cancel

@linda7913 wrote:

I wanted to send a message to the seller after the item I purchased was delivered and thought that I could just contact them through Purchase History. I clicked on the item and Contact Seller.

The only option I had was to Request a Cancellation. Really? The item was delivered, and eBay notice showed that it was not possible to cancel the item since it had already been shipped. Okay. There was a button to click if I had further questions. So I did, and there was nothing I could see at the top of the message that it was a Cancellation Request. So, I typed my message as a follow-up to receiving the item. I was very happy with the item and the seller. 

Now it shows on the seller's end that I am requesting to cancel the order, which is a mistake. The seller stated that eBay will follow up with me about it, and I will tell eBay that it is a mistake, and they need other choices besides cancellation. 

So, how does this work? How soon will I hear from eBay regarding this? I do not want the seller to be hurt by this mistake. Honestly, I was just following up to give the seller kudos on a job well done. They say "no good deed goes unpunished." 

So here I am having to fix something that wasn't intended.

Under the "cancel" option, there should be a "still have questions?" contact seller link. 

I checked one of my purchases and this is what I get: 

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 12.35.40 AM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

That's exactly what I got too. When I clicked on the Contact Seller by "Still Have Questions," the seller received my message as a Request for Cancellation even though the body of the message had nothing to do with cancelling the order.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hi @linda7913 

You can use the ‘Contact Seller’ link in the listing … or the ‘Contact Member’ link in the seller’s feedback profile … to leave a message for the seller, explaining that you do NOT want to cancel.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your response. 

When I sent the message, the seller replied back and asked if it was a mistake and sent a screen shot showing that "Buyer requested a cancellation." I said it was, so she told me to tell eBay that it is a mistake when eBay contacts me.

I told her that I will never part with the items I purchased from her.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your response. I had already left positive feedback on the item but wanted to follow up with the seller because she had found a piece that went with the item and sent it with another item I purchased from her. 

I just wanted to thank her for her thoughtfulness.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply