cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Send) Message button greyed out everywhere; Cannot contact seller about purchase

I figured while I am stuck at home I would buy a few things I have been needing.  In doing so I have used messaging more than I usually do (which is hardly ever): thanking sellers for responding, following up with gratitude and best wishes, etc. in an attempt to be kinder during this challenge we are all facing...

Yesterday I received an item and I noticed an immediate problem.  When I went to contact the seller I could not: eBay has greyed out the Message button on the Contact Seller choices page.  It is inoperable.  There is fine print that says: "We scan and analyze messages to identify potential fraud and policy violations. Sometimes it will keep us from sending your message, even when there is no intention to commit fraud."  I tried using the member feedback page, the original listing, and the Purchase History, but in each instance the (Send) Message button is greyed out.

First time ever eBay chat Help popped up and was great (I was concerned).  She said there was a three message limit a day (never knew that, but I had not messaged this seller at all for days), and to wait 24 hours.  Well, I have and the Message buttons are still greyed out; I cannot contact any seller.  When there is a problem with an item I receive I like to discuss it with the seller quickly, so this is frustrating.  I have looked through the boards and have not found anyone else posting about this.  I did not receive any warning, no red text, in fact eBay chat help told me not to worry and just to wait 24 hours, but...

Has anyone had experience with this, or know anything about this? 

I know I have some time re: return, etc., but I like to handle things when they come up and I don't understand this inconvenience to me.  I'm wondering WHEN I will be able to message again, but I guess I won't be following up with gratitude and good wishes if that is why I am being "penalized" 😐 .

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

(Send) Message button greyed out everywhere; Cannot contact seller about purchase

@mirabilevisu wrote:

I received an item and I noticed an immediate problem. When I went to contact the seller I could not: eBay has greyed out the Message button on the Contact Seller choices page. It is inoperable. I tried using

- the member feedback page,

- the original listing, and

- the Purchase History,

but in each instance the (Send) Message button is greyed out.

I have and the Message buttons are still greyed out; I cannot contact any seller.  When there is a problem with an item I receive I like to discuss it with the seller quickly, so this is frustrating.

Unfortunately, that's not how to contact your seller. eBay says: The first step is to contact the seller through the Resolution Center click here and try to resolve the problem.

https://ip1.i.lithium.com/54aab3c8e78b5bbdce4da5ef53d58017d3f35f62/687474703a2f2f696d616765732e7765736572762e6e6c2f3f75726c3d636f6d6d756e6974792e656261792e636f6d2f74352f696d6167652f736572766572706167652f696d6167652d69642f3632303739316945374545423432444232423031373844

In all honesty, every other way has been blocked, and even the eBay Customer Support staff was actually unable to help you contact the seller. Try it this way now; your message will sail right through this time.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply