cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Who Do Not Process Refund

What are the consequences, if any, for sellers who accept the return of an item, issue the return shipping label, and receive the item, but do not process the refund?

I ask as I recently returned an item which was not-as-described.  The seller accepted the return of the item, issued the return shipping label, and received the returned item, but neither communicated beyond that or issued the refund.  I received the full refund only after I asked eBay to step-in.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Sellers Who Do Not Process Refund

@smabrouk,

Did you return the item with a shipping label the seller sent you, or just send it back?  If you were sent a shipping label it should have had a tracking number, and you should check it to see if it has been delivered. If you just sent it back hopefully you used a method that has tracking and still have the number. You will need it to prove you returned the item.  Once the item has been delivered they should send a refund within 2 business days, and at times PayPal can take between 3-5 days to process it. A credit card refund may take up 30 days to appear on your card's statement.  If you sent it back on your own open a not as described dispute add the tracking number to it.

If you did go through the Money back guarantee (MBG) system. You can ask ebay to step in they will process a refund and collect from the seller. If they have to do that they will receive a defect on their account If they get too many they may lose top rated seller status and its discounts, be limited on how many items they an sell, or banned from ebay. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Of course, I used the return label issued by the seller.  I would not pay for return shipping of this disappointing item which was not-as-described.

I followed all the rules and instructions provided via the return procedure.  As a result of doing so, I received notification via eBay that the seller had received the item and that the seller should process the full refund by a specified date.  In addition, after that date had passed, I received a reminder from eBay that I could request that eBay step-in if the seller did not process the refund.  As stated, that is exactly what I had to do since the seller failed to issue the full refund.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

What are the consequences, if any, for sellers who accept the return of an item, issue the return shipping label, and receive the item, but do not process the refund?

I ask as I recently returned an item which was not-as-described.  The seller accepted the return of the item, issued the return shipping label, and received the returned item, but neither communicated beyond that or issued the refund.  I received the full refund only after I asked eBay to step-in.

@smabrouk the seller received a DEFECT on their account because eBay had to force the refund.  Not too many defects and the seller will be banned from eBay 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@smabrouk the seller received a DEFECT on their account because eBay had to force the refund.  Not too many defects and the seller will be banned from eBay 

Thank you!  I appreciate your precise, thoughtful and direct reply!  : )

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

Thank you!  I appreciate your precise, thoughtful and direct reply!  : )

What comics says is true. When a seller doesn't do what's required, and Ebay has to do it for them, the seller gets a non-performance defect. Ebay calls them "cases closed without seller resolution". Sellers are allowed  0.3% with a maximum of TWO. Sellers who have more than 400 transactions per month are evaluated quarterly. Sellers who sell less than that are evaluated yearly. For a seller like myself, that would be two per year. If the seller has even a small habit of doing that, they won't be selling here long.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

What do you mean by "Do Not Process Refund?"  Ordinarily the refund is credited to the original funding source and may take several days, even up to a full billing cycle, to show on one's credit card statement.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

What comics says is true. When a seller doesn't do what's required, and Ebay has to do it for them, the seller gets a non-performance defect. Ebay calls them "cases closed without seller resolution". Sellers are allowed  0.3% with a maximum of TWO. Sellers who have more than 400 transactions per month are evaluated quarterly. Sellers who sell less than that are evaluated yearly. For a seller like myself, that would be two per year. If the seller has even a small habit of doing that, they won't be selling here long.

Thank you for your detailed reply — I greatly appreciate it!  That is very interesting!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

What do you mean by "Do Not Process Refund?"  Ordinarily the refund is credited to the original funding source and may take several days, even up to a full billing cycle, to show on one's credit card statement.

As stated, the seller did not process/issue the refund and I had to ask eBay to step-in.  It is not a mater of showing up on a credit card statement, the refund must be initiated as it is not automatic.  If the seller does not do so then eBay, when requested, can step-in to issue the refund.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@smabrouk wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

As stated, the seller did not process/issue the refund and I had to ask eBay to step-in.  It is not a mater of showing up on a credit card statement, the refund must be initiated as it is not automatic.  If the seller does not do so then eBay, when requested, can step-in to issue the refund.

If you asked eBay to step in and eBay finds in your favor, the seller has a specified number of days to issue the refund or eBay does it for them, if memory serves.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 10
latest reply