cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller trying to get item back one month after shipping

I received a notice a month after receiving an item that the seller was crediting the amount and wanted it back.

I gave his as a gift.  The person has said no to returning it and I have no clue what to do other than contacting my lawyer to resolve his in court. There seems to be no option in Ebay for this issue.

I stopped bidding on other items when I got this, so I lost those auctions too and that makes it a double whammy.

is there an eBay process to resolve this?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The seller apologized and I removed the feedback. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 27 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

If you have the item, keep it.

Ignore the messages from the seller.

The transaction is over.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

There is nothing at all you need to do.  The seller gave you a gift.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

well you paid for it, and its yours...so answer and say sorry I don't have it it was agift..thank you for a wonderful item, but i can't help you...thank you have a good day, 

then be done with it.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

well you paid for it, and its yours...so answer and say sorry I don't have it it was agift..thank you for a wonderful item, but i can't help you...thank you have a good day, 

then be done with it.

wait you paid for it right?

IF NOT,...the honest person would have sent it back...but you say you can't ..so back to my first thought...sorry i can't

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

wait did they give your money back?  so you could give the money back that was given back to you , even though you had paid for the item ...wait... no..say sorry but, i can't...

if this ever went to a Judge...Judge Jusdy would say HUH?  

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I'm thinking it may have been something they did not have permission to sell (like a nice watch), and the seller is being pressured to get it back.

Listed, sold, paid, shipped, received, hopefully done.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

This is very strange indeed. That watch was listed as Cartier and  had a lot of bids, ending at $460. The description has this odd statement: 

I am not sure this Cartier watch is authentic or not .because I could not open to see inside the case
If it is authentic watch, then it will cost more than $1000
but if it is not authentic watch then it will be value $300

The seller is not new so why he would just refund your money and then ask for the watch back makes no sense. 

Maybe be one of the other bidders convinced him it was real and offered him a lot more for it or maybe he found the papers that he said were missing.. who knows?

I'm wondering what kind of "notice" you got that makes you even consider sending it back or getting an attorney involved. If you paid for it, it's yours. Period.

Look at your PayPal account and see if there really is a refund there. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@wjmackinbk wrote:

is there an eBay process to resolve this?

Resolve what?

You bought a widget, you got a widget and you're happy with the widget. Ignore the seller.

You even have paperwork showing you paid for it! It's yours to do as you please.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@wjmackinbk wrote:

I received a notice a month after receiving an item that the seller was crediting the amount and wanted it back.

Why did they want it back? Did they credit your account? Was ebay involved in the "notification?"

The seller can ask for a return but cannot demand it as the business transaction is over.

You have no legal obligations.  Are you bringing up lawyers and court because it was implied or threatened, or are you just worried?

No need.

Is there more to this story?

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I thought I was the only one that was confused - if the money was refunded and the seller stated they wanted the item returned, but the OP gave the item as a "gift?"  Is that what happened?  

If the above is correct, that the OP did not return it, but gave it as a gift after the refund, why would the OP not return the money?  

Maybe my confusion is from lack of sleep, so maybe I should take nap?

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I thought I was the only one that was confused - if the money was refunded and the seller stated they wanted the item returned, but the OP gave the item as a "gift?"  Is that what happened?  

If the above is correct, that the OP did not return it, but gave it as a gift after the refund, why would the OP not return the money?  

Maybe my confusion is from lack of sleep, so maybe I should take nap?

The way I understand it, the OP bought and paid for the item.  The OP gave the purchased item as a gift to someone not involved in the original transaction.  A month after the original transaction, the seller refunds the OP's money and wants the item back.  If my understanding of the situation is correct, the original seller has no claim on the item and was foolish to send the OP money.

If the original seller wants the item back, he would have to purchase it from the present owner, at a price that person was willing to take for it, if that person was willing to sell.  Of course, the OP is under no obligation to furnish the original seller with the identity of the person to whom he gifted the item.

With regard to the money sent to the OP as a refund, I would probably simply send it back, but I don't believe the OP is legally obligated to do that.

Personally, it sounds like the original seller discovered something about the item that makes them think that its value is quite a bit higher than they originally thought.  It is possible that the OP gave a nicer gift to the person than they had thought.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

That all makes sense to me.  Especially now that I've checked the OP's feedback left.  He negged the seller, so it's easy to see the item in question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ladies-Cartier-Panthere-Watches-Diamonds-/222501873573

A vintage Cartier watch was recently in the news, but it's a completely different style. A Kardashian bought a watch owned by Jackie Kennedy.  When worlds collide!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/23/kim-kardashian-jackie-kennedy-watch-cartier-painting-auction/

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Just when you think you've seen it all.....
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Just an aside here: The listing itself is against Ebay policy.

You can not sell any item you can not verify as AUTHENTIC. 

This verbiage in the listing is not allowed: "I am not sure this Cartier watch is authentic or not."

No matter, I would tell the seller to pound sand.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply