cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller stalked me online and threatened blackmail

I am taking this to the discussion boards because eBay support has not provided a satisfactory response. The story so far:

A few weeks ago, I purchsed a pair of jeans, as I've done dozens of times. The jeans arrived and didn't fit, which was surprising because the listing included measurements which indicated that they would. 

I measured the jeans myself and found them to be about an inch short in both waist and inseam.

Therefore, I opened a return request and included photos of my measurements.

Here's where it gets ugly:

In their reply the seller suggested that I had faked my measurement photos, more or less called me a liar and referenced the industry in which I work, indicating that he had "stalked" me online. 

This was, of course,  insulting, disturbing and more than a little frightening. I tried to keep my cool and re-iterated my position as politely as possible. 

The seller responded by threatening to post a video to his youtube channel that would ostensibly shame me and my employer, which he mentioned by name. Further indicating that he had actively sought and found personal information. 

There is no way to interperet these words and actions as anything other than threatening.  An unreasonable escalaltion of a mundane interaction and clearly a violation of eBay policy.

I was attempting to return a $35 pair of jeans and instead suffered an egregious violation of my privacy and faced possible blackmail.  I think we would all agree that this is unacceptable and deserving of swift and final expulsion.  All, that is, except for the members of eBay support who have dismissed my concerns with the usual run-around and evasive corporate doublespeak. 

I have happily bought and sold on the site for more than 10 years but will not continue if doing so will expose me, my family and my employer to such insolence.

Posting here as an entreaty to the community to show support for the removal of this depraved individual, lest another unsuspecting and honest buyer be subjected to their bullying ways.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I cannot account for the fact that you happen to sell jeans as well.

Ebay may not be listening to you because you are a competitor.  I don't know if your claims are true or baseless, no offense, but ebay has this stance so that sellers cannot set out to take out their competition, and it makes sense.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is what it is, and I am sorry if you have truly had a bad experience, and you are well within your rights to decide to do whatever you feel enhances your safety and makes you more comfortable.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

@trevorbhwrote:

Posting here as an entreaty to the community to show support for the removal of this depraved individual, lest another unsuspecting and honest buyer be subjected to their bullying ways.

That's not how it works.  If you genuinely feel threatened, contact your local police.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

You are suggesting that I made this up to reduce competition?

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Also, ebay has the message string. 

I would be foolish to post an account of this experience without substantiation.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

- That's not how it works.  If you genuinely feel threatened, contact your local police.

So you're suggesting that the seller's behavior is "how it works"?

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@trevorbhwrote:

With all due respect, if you re read my post, you will see that I said have no idea if your claims are true or baseless, and I don't.  Nothing in that suggests or implies a suggestion that you made this up.  It just says I don't know what is true or false, and I don't.  I just explained Ebay policy on this. 

As for you, again, I have no idea.  Only you and God and the other seller who alledgedly did this know the truth.  But there have been sellers who have tried this.   And it is something that can backfire if it is noted on that seller's account.

So again, sorry if you went through this.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@trevorbhwrote:

I'm sure no offense was intended. But it wouldn't be the first time a seller did this to a competitor on eBay. Nor would it be the last.

If you report a listing for some violation or other, eBay takes it with a grain of salt if they can see that you have sold similar items or are selling similar items.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Sometimes it helps to simply skip over certain things. 

Be proactive as you've already seen this comapny is not interetsed in helping you.  Print out those comments and take them to the PD with you.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Read the quoted section.  This board is not about mustering support for boycots or calls to action against a seller.

You were advised to see formal action with authorities.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

@thallidguywrote:

@trevorbhwrote:

I'm sure no offense was intended. But it wouldn't be the first time a seller did this to a competitor on eBay. Nor would it be the last.

If you report a listing for some violation or other, eBay takes it with a grain of salt if they can see that you have sold similar items or are selling similar items.

Thank you, thalidguy.  No offense was intended.  As you know, some sellers can and do try to take out their competition.  Not questioning OP's veracity, but I don't know what happened~I just see that the OP sells jeans and seems to have issues with not as described, based on feedback left.  Of course these things may be coincidental.  My intent was to simply explain Ebay policy.

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

Read the quoted section.  This board is not about mustering support for boycots or calls to action against a seller.

You were advised to see formal action with authorities.

Chyrsylys is suggesting the best course of action for you under the circumstances.  

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Again, the threats are documented in the messages which eBay has access to. God not needed.

I understand the stated purpose of the Discussion Board, but let me ask you this:

What would you do if the administrators of a site and service you trusted and granted access to actively enabled its use as a tool to invade and distrupt the lives of its users?

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@trevorbhwrote:

let me ask you this:

What would you do if the administrators of a site and service you trusted and granted access to actively enabled its use as a tool to invade and distrupt the lives of its users?

I would contact local authorities and/or seek legal counsel.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@trevorbhwrote:

Again, the threats are documented in the messages which eBay has access to. God not needed.

I understand the stated purpose of the Discussion Board, but let me ask you this:

What part of "we can't join with you to make eBay do anything about this seller" do you not understand?

Message 15 of 47
latest reply