cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller requesting PayPal to send back a purchase

I’ve been having issues with the seller of an item that I recently bought. They sent me a counterfeit item and I have been going through the process of trying to return it. After being sent a fake return address and having eBay step in, the seller finally sent me what looks to be a real address. They are asking that I provide them with my PayPal number so that they can cover the shipping costs. The item is being sent to China from the US.

I’m very new to eBay (this was my first ever purchase), so I don’t really know how this stuff works. Is this safe? Is it possible that they could charge back and I would be stuck with the shipping costs?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

This is exactly what you need to do.

Send them you PayPal address so they can send you money to ship the item.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes, this is the way it works for ebay returns with int'l sellers. You need to get the amount necessary from the carrier to ship it back with tracking. Also calculate your paypal fees that it will cost you for receiving the money through paypal and add that in too. Then send a request for that amount to the seller. I would tell the seller to send the money using you paypalme link and not giving them the email address. After receiving the money buy the label and ship the item back before the ebay deadline.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If you give them your Paypal email address, verify that they actually sent the money to cover return shipping. 

You want to make sure that you didn't receive a fake payment that appears to be from PP. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Make sure that they are sending enough to buy a label for Priority Mail International.  They may tell you that you can send it first class international but there is no tracking for that service in China so no proof that the seller received the item back.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@jor3891 wrote:

They are asking that I provide them with my PayPal number so that they can cover the shipping costs.

The item is being sent to China from the US.

Is this safe? Is it possible that they could charge back and I would be stuck with the shipping costs

Absolutely @jor3891 if you receive a PayPal payment for GOODS AND SERVICES then it can be disputed after say FOUR MONTHS asking for proof of tracking showing Delivered, to stick you with the return shipping costs.

xaxa59_0-1702675412973.jpeg

It best to receive a FRIENDS AND FAMILY payment via PayPal, but that too may risk a credit card chargeback.

And beware: Don't use First Class International as tracking stops at the border, and will never show delivered.

In my case, the seller in China finally had a family member in California buy a label from USPS and send the return to the family member, changing the return address at eBay to that family address, to return the item for a refund.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

can they do a charge back through pay pal?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I've used 'friends and family' on paypal quite a bit, and it was explained to me in no uncertain terms , that once you press the send button, it's a done deal.  They won't rescind payment or allow a chargeback. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@djstar-57 wrote:

You can't use a credit card to send payment with Paypal Friends & Family, so chargebacks aren't even possible.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@djstar-57 wrote:

ise710_0-1711322513633.jpeg

When

-- your seller uses a credit card to send you a PayPal Friends & Family payment for return shipping

-- and your tracking shows the return was delivered to the seller but expires after 120 days

-- your seller can skip the PayPal Purchase Protection and go to a chargeback.

So they can do a chargeback through PayPal @tinsoldierunderground because you can use a credit card to send payment with PayPal Friends & Family.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

NOT my experience at all.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@tinsoldierunderground wrote:

NOT my experience at all. 

Of course not, as you didn't chargeback if you used a credit card for your PayPal Friends & Family payments.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

BECAUSE I WAS UNABLE TO ACCORDING TO PAYPAL, BACKED UP BY A PAYPAL CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply