cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses to ship after funds received...

Not sure if it's appropriate to mention sellers by name.  A seller has refused shipment claiming either eBay or PayPal has placed a 21 day hold on shipping item even though all eBay, PayPal, and my financial institution all acknowledge payment has been made, and received.  Do not seem to get any help from either eBay or PayPal resolving this.  Seller is rude, and has accused me of committing fraud...deflecting blame, and accountability from himself.  Do not know how to resolve this issue.  Help & advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Seller refuses to ship after funds received...

A seller has refused shipment claiming either eBay or PayPal has placed a 21 day hold on shipping item ...

Your seller is confused.  

The 21 day hold is NOT a hold impacting when they can ship.

Please read the info in this link & then share it with your seller.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@huntertex4,

Your seller if they are new to selling or have not sold anything in over a year (check their feedback profile, not just their percentage or number) has run into PayPal's 21 day hold.  Your PayPal account shows the payment as Completed, but on their account the payment status is Pending.  This catches many new or returning sellers by surprise and they do not know what to do.  It is also a reason inexperienced sellers do think people are trying to scam them, because they do not think payment has been received.  You may see that the seller has a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but it could all be for buying in the last 12 months at least if they've sold at all.

Since you cannot send links through ebay messages tell the seller to login to their PayPal account. Click on the Help button, then type either Payment Hold or Why is my payment being held, into the topic search box.

Situations like this are a good reason why you should check the feedback profile of each seller you consider buying from, before you bid or commit to buy. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I have shared with the seller, and I think he's not comprehending what is clear.  Thank you.  I do not see a way out of this.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Great help, and  have shared with the seller, thank you.  However, I don't think he comprehends what is so simple.  I do not know how to get out of this situation.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@huntertex4 wrote:

Great help, and  have shared with the seller, thank you.  However, I don't think he comprehends what is so simple.  I do not know how to get out of this situation.

If they won't ship, there isn't much you can do until a day after the estimated delivery date.

Then go to the resolution center below and select, I didn't receive my item.

If the seller is new, their payments will be put on hold and the only way they can get them released is to ship with tracking and show the item was delivered or wait the full 21 days.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@huntertex4 wrote:

@huntertex4,

Navigating this site can be difficult for new sellers, an since this is a PayPal issue, if they do exactly what I wrote. They will get the info and should be able to ship the item.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I have had this same thing happen this week.  He told me that eBay instructed him not to ship because he would not be protected in case I was trying to defraud him.  My payment went thru immediately, but eBay/Paypal placed a Hold on the funds to him.  I wonder if it is the same seller.  Did they ask you to contact eBay/Paypal on their (the seller's) behalf because "he was frustrated that eBay was not helping him with the Hold placed on my payment" (because this seller rarely sells).

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@mirabilevisu,

"He told me that eBay instructed him not to ship because he would not be protected in case I was trying to defraud him ... "he was frustrated that eBay was not helping him with the Hold placed on my payment" (because this seller rarely sells)."

Your seller probably because they do not understand why a hold has been placed on their payment, is not telling you the truth, or they got some bad advice from an ebay rep who doesn't know what they are talking about.  If you read my first post on this topic, and copy and paste the info there to a message to your seller they will get the info needed to complete the transaction. 

Try not to blame the seller too much especially if they have a history of buying and/or have not sold anything before or in over a year.  There are other reasons why the hold may be imposed as well.  A seller sells something much more expensive than their usual items, or they list something expensive that is in a "risky category".

"I wonder if it is the same seller".

Probably not.  We see several topics like this each week on the boards.  This is not an uncommon problem, and it is one reason why buyers should check the feedback profile of every seller before buying from them no matter what their feedback percentage is.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your input, I do appreciate it (have Bookmarked several of your contributions to the Community).  I have communicated at length with my seller and copied him on what I found here (the info you highlighted), on the Hold policies, and on my conversations (two on his behalf, two on mine) with eBay and Paypal.  After 10 days had passed with no word or indication of mailing, I also posted a lengthy summation of my experience under the tag Holds, Payment Holds.  I needed some reassurance and/or direction.

I like my seller, and trust them (to the extent that one trusts another  enough to do business with them here on eBay, paticularly when buying a high dollar laptop).  This seller rarely, if ever, sells and never a high dollar item.  He told me he was selling a computer because he was surprised with another one from his family, and I believe him.  But the things he told me and his refusal to mail, even after having been explained, in detail, the procedures and reasons for a Hold; when he himself initially (upon hearing of the Hold placed on my payment to him) related to me that he knew the funds would be held until I received the laptop, after 11 days, with no explanation for not shipping other than a pretense that eBay instructed him not to...It is upsetting, and concerning.  I have been supportive of him and patient with him; reassured him, and directed him here to the Community to read of the many even very experienced sellers who have to deal with Holds.  I am even willing to wait the 21 days.  But not to hear ANYTHING, except an entreaty to intervene on his behalf-which I also willingly did-it has left me wondering about his good faith.  He has been repeatedly reassured by eBay AND Paypal that my payment is good, that it cleared immediately, and that he needs only to contact Paypal.  Which, I don't think he has done.   

I like what I know of the seller, I really want the laptop, I have been very willing to work with him through this, but he has not completed his responsibilities to the transaction in response to my good faith payment and extensive supportive communication.  Clarity and transparency, and the truth, is what I have asked in return.  So far I have not received any of these, nor have I received the laptop.  I am bummed.  eBay recommended that, in absence of his action and/or communication, I have them step in.  Reluctantly, I did.

I have bought more than usual recently following a long period of personal challenge.   Some clothing did not fit, a couple of items descriptions were not true to the item, but in all of these transactions the sellers have kept me informed and we have worked things out.  Buying is stressful:  you pay, but often you do not know exactly what you have paid for (and anticipated) until the package arrives (which is its own challenge) and you open for the reveal.  Did it make it? Is it what the description said it was?  Is it counterfeit?  Does it fit even passingly enough to keep?  Is it wonderful?  (which, in most cases, for me it often is) or disappointing (which is a real blow because it is such a hassle to return things and buyers are criticized for returning).  I have returned things,  I have had items not work as they should and been refunded or partially refunded, and I have kept things that weren't at all what I wanted because I accept that no information can be perfect, but it takes communication.  I know you know that because you are very good at communicating and show great equanimity in your contributions.  Thank you for coming to my Ted talk (apologies...I really wanted this purchase to be one of my wonderful ones). 

I really want/need this laptop and I really want to feel good about the seller.  I hope my good faith in him has been justified.  It shouldn't have to be this difficult or protracted to receive something that one is thrilled to find, and that one has happily paid full BIN asking price for.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply