cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller raised shipping cost after I placed my bid -- UNFAIR!. Is this allowed?

I placed a bid on Friday 06/09/2023 for an auction ending 2:56 PM Monday 06/12/2023.  I saved a copy of the web page showing shipping cost at $35.84.  Today, 06/11/2023 I noticed the seller raised the shipping cost by $11.00 to $46.84. 

Is this allowed? 

How does e-bay handle this?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller raised shipping cost after I placed my bid -- UNFAIR!. Is this allowed?

@alexethridge wrote:

I don't see an item number anywhere.  Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295741870017

It shows no revisions were done to  the shipping. Are you possibly changing your ship to zip code? That's the only way it could change.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 11-38-28 Revision summary for item #295741870017.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller raised shipping cost after I placed my bid -- UNFAIR!. Is this allowed?

Last I knew it was not possible to change the shipping on a listing that has "bids".

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

He's still monkeying around with the shipping cost.  He just now changed shipping cost again!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Item number?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

Last I knew it was not possible to change the shipping on a listing that has "bids".

Yeah the section will be grayed out and unrevisable with bids so I'd be curious to know what is happening. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

It is saying ask for postage quote next to postage 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@alexethridge wrote:

It shows no revisions were done to  the shipping. Are you possibly changing your ship to zip code? That's the only way it could change.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 11-38-28 Revision summary for item #295741870017.png

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@bjbirchuk wrote:

It is saying ask for postage quote next to postage 

It only shows shipping to the US and you show as in the UK which is why you would see that when you view the listing.  

I agree with the other poster it sounds like the OPs zip code is changing. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I don't understand what that means.  I did a word search and "postage" is not found anywhere in the pages of that ad.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@alexethridge wrote:

I don't understand what that means.  I did a word search and "postage" is not found anywhere in the pages of that ad.

the person who responded with that is based in the UK.  The seller doesn't offer shipping to the UK so when someone in the UK looks at the listing they are going to see ask the seller for postage.  It is unrelated to what you are seeing. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

That's it.  My ZIP had been changed.  I corrected it and all is well.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

So I get $35.84 for shipping to texas and $46.54 for missouri.  Definitely sounds like you're seeing calculations based on different zip codes.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hi @alexethridge 

It's NOT allowed.  It's also NOT possible.  Sellers cannot make any substantive changes in an auction once a bid has been placed ... certainly not able to change the shipping cost.

Sometimes when the shipping cost changes it's because I put a different ZIP Code in the shipping section when checking out an item to answer a question ... and I forget to put mine back.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I've currently got an item up for auction that has a couple bids and the only change I can make to that listing is adding the option for eBay to promote my auction (for a fee of course), everything else is greyed out and/or disabled.

On my auctions that don't currently have a bid all the fields/toggles are still editable/working.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply