cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller offers sell outside eBay in description

I noted a seller whose items come up in my saved searches, and every one is grossly overpriced, with a notation in the item description that if you don't like the price, see his other local advertisement at a much lower price. I reported this. Seems to think eBay is free advertising for CL or similar. Not taken down yet. If it doesn't change, I'll post the seller's listings here and perhaps eBay will take action.  Annoys me to sift through his items in my search results. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@stevescho wrote:

And how is it you came to the extent of knowledge that allows prophesize the outcome of what I may post ("...will be removed...")?  If we all knew as much as you, we wouldn't have to post here, would we? 

I came to that "extent of knowledge" through more than 61,000 posts in the Community since 2006. But a simple reading of the Community Guidelines would give you that same knowledge:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/m-p/26164369#M2

You can specifically take note of the prohibition on actions that are:

about another user’s listings or user IDs to tarnish their reputation (e.g. “naming & shaming”) or otherwise calling the community to action. 

When we ask for item numbers it's usually to see a description or bid history that allows us to answer the OP's question, not to join in a witch hunt.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you post the seller's listings or name here it will be removed. The Community doesn't allow 'naming and shaming' of other members. All you can do is keep reporting the listings.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Truly? Haven't you asked for listing numbers on contested sales here?  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

And how is it you came to the extent of knowledge that allows prophesize the outcome of what I may post ("...will be removed...")?  If we all knew as much as you, we wouldn't have to post here, would we? 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I believe you can post item numbers but not the seller's name, and people usually only post item numbers for things they purchased or were trying to.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

No seller's name or ID...but item number? Interesting...can it done or has it been done?

And by the way, I am on your side...not k.....

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

And I think you have an interesting opinion and idea....

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I believe you can post item numbers but not the seller's name

--------------------------------------------------

That exposes a sort of gray area to the policy as one links directly to the other 😂

to note: I am neutral on this situation of what to post.

I do agree that the seller is in violation od eBay policy.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

An item number is kosher, you say?  Well here it is, asking about 5X the original retail price, together with said description offering to sell elsewhere for much cheaper:

This and others pollute my saved search results.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

here's another couple listing numbers, for example:

To say these are asking 10X the item's value would be generous, with the attendant verbiage in the description, reading: "I have this listed locally at a lower price and would absolutely prefer to sell via my local ad. If you don't love the price here, please find my local ad and give me a shout."  Hence seller not only advertises items to sell outside eBay, but also to use eBay's communication system to do set up such sales.  Noting one other such item has been taken down (that one was $20K asked), do I have to make another 66 reports for each of his items?  No intent at all to "shame" here, but rather, to ask your opinion on the most efficient way to report in this AI-dominated world.  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@stevescho wrote:

I came to that "extent of knowledge" through more than 61,000 posts in the Community since 2006. But a simple reading of the Community Guidelines would give you that same knowledge:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/m-p/26164369#M2

You can specifically take note of the prohibition on actions that are:

about another user’s listings or user IDs to tarnish their reputation (e.g. “naming & shaming”) or otherwise calling the community to action. 

When we ask for item numbers it's usually to see a description or bid history that allows us to answer the OP's question, not to join in a witch hunt.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thy post is selected as a best answer - but not by me, nor is it an answer at all to the question of what to do in the instance in which every one of seller's items is overpriced, and contains an offer to sell outside of eBay in the project description.  At this time, reporting is via individual items, not an entire seller's inventory.  Notwithstanding the abundance of your past contributions, can you provide any other guidance?  Thanks for such participation, but let us keep our eyes on the ball here.  The problem is not with me.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Moreover, I am given pause to wonder about the  best reply designation method (AI or other); as yours mocks my original post (e.g., presumption to  "ask to join a witch hunt") .  That wasn't my question; and I tried to rephrase to make that clear.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Seller is a complete  xyz.

Has sold 5 items in 90 days (of which I will PERSONALLY GUARNATEE that THOSE Items were NEVER paid for, through ebay). 

Therefore, who cares??? 

This seller will sell NOTHING this way. 

Waste fo that sellers time, effort. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

And now, a green button appears to go to best answer, which doesn't answer the question at all but rather, threatens me. This isn't helpful.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply