cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller misrepresented item

I bought a vintage sewing machine in pristine cosmetic condition. I paid top dollar. It was listed as serviced but when I checked it out the button hole knob was frozen and the stitch length knob also was very stiff. And if that wasn"t enough the belts were not adjusted. I repair sewing machines but I feel this doesn"t give someone the right to pass this off on someone a not as desribed condition. The seller knows I fixed it and he knows he got me but I am either leaving negative or neutral feedback. He says the owner told me it was serviced on a regular basis but I see zero evidence of this it had the wrong oil and was not serviced ready to use. Also I never even got a sorry this happen until I brought it up.  Any suggestions neutral or negative feedback ? And no I am not sending it back I spent several hours fixing it. Remember I paid top dollar for a working serviced machine but it wasn"t serviced someone used 3 in 1 oil and called it serviced.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If it’s not as described why not open a return and return it for a refund? 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Personally I would never leave negative feedback unless I had given a seller the chance to make things right and they refused. It sounds like the seller was relying on someone else telling him the machine was serviced regularly, so I think it's a leap to somehow infer "he knows he got me". Unless you're certain the seller knowingly lied about the condition I'd just leave no feedback.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You just should have returned it when you discovered it was not as described.    When buying used items you should not be expecting factory referb condition.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

That you fixed it yourself means that you must believe you got a good enough deal to make it worth it. 

And now that you've fixed it, the sewing machine isn't in the condition it was sent so even if you wanted to, you wouldn't be able to return it. 

My opinion is that you handled this improperly. What you should have done is contacted the seller before making any repair, let them know it's NAD and ask them how they'd like to handle it. Their options would be to offer a partial (to compensate your having to fix it) or for you to open a return request.  

After altering the product, you are SOL and stuck with it. 

Too many buyers like their items, don't want to return yet expect sellers to offer partials. And a lot of sellers won't play that game. Either it's good enough to keep for the price you paid or it's not good enough and you return it. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Remember that saying "no news is good news"? Don't leave feedback unless you feel comfortable where sellers and buyers can read what you left as feedback. Personally, I wouldn't leave anything.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I'm not defending the seller's integrity, but a number of sellers are far from knowledgeable about what they sell.  While they SHOULD be well versed in the nuts and bolts of the vintage items they sell, many remain blissfully ignorant.  If you are pleased with the overall condition of the sewing machine, despite the effort you had to put into it, I would be careful choosing your words in feedback.  If you feel you must, just keep it factual without emotion, insults, or slander.  As others have suggested, your future transactions could be jeopardized if sellers read your inflammatory statements. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Although actually it's no longer in the condition in which the buyer received it.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I wasn"t expecting factory specs /condition. Was only expecting what I paid for a serviced machine this cost  $79.00 on up. If I bought a fake coin and the seller said well thats what the owner said it was real so I should just let is slide. I don"t think so. He is liable for the condition and that is a cop out to say well the owner said it was serviced. I received negative feedback from a buyer for selling a defective brand new item.The seller is not getting a free ride he will receive at the least neutral feedback.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I disagree if I want to send it back I could. Adding oil does not alter the state of the product. But I have no itention of returning.But he is not gretting positive feedback for going off someone else,s word. Ignorance is no excuse.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I am honest and will leave an honest feedback.Thank you for your comments.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

He got his chance and did nothing. All I know is the seller is not getting a free ride just because I can repair sewing machines. We charge for this service $79.00 on up. Instead of using the "serviced machine" I had to repair it first. I may just leave neutral feedback because all was not well and I will only state the facts.Also he had samples of button holes sewed but there is no way he used the machine to make them the button hole knob was completly frozen. The samples were already with the machine from former owner and he misrepresested them. I can tell now that I have them.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You chose not to open an item not as described case, right?

It's good that you were able to repair it.

So what you are asking is what kind of FB you should leave? 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It seems like the OP saw it as repairable and made the choice to do that instead of opening an NAD case which could have been done.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply