cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller describes wrong accessory with expensive electronic.

I recently just bought a expensive drawing monitor tablet and everything is in perfect working order but there's a missing accessory that was described in the title. The title said it had the articulating stand which is an additional optional accessory that is called exactly that articulating stand. The seller was wrong in using that description by calling the already included kickstand the articulating stand. I bought it expecting that additional optional articulating stand so when I got it minute wasn't there I asked about it and he said he was wrong but I got a really good deal already. Which I agree I know I got a really good deal ready but he described it incorrectly. Now I do not want to return this and I will not. Am I not entitled to some reimbursement for not getting all that the item was described? That optional articulating stand is another several hundred dollars brand new so it's not like a small thing to just ignore. I brought it up to him that I understand I got the item at a really good price but the principal still is that I didn't get everything that he described. He has not responded with any compromising offer and it's been 3 days. Will eBay be able to make this right which to me would be a partial refund?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Seller describes wrong accessory with expensive electronic.

@tuck.timo wrote:

I recently just bought a expensive drawing monitor tablet and everything is in perfect working order but there's a missing accessory that was described in the title. The title said it had the articulating stand which is an additional optional accessory that is called exactly that articulating stand. The seller was wrong in using that description by calling the already included kickstand the articulating stand. I bought it expecting that additional optional articulating stand so when I got it minute wasn't there I asked about it and he said he was wrong but I got a really good deal already. Which I agree I know I got a really good deal ready but he described it incorrectly. Now I do not want to return this and I will not. Am I not entitled to some reimbursement for not getting all that the item was described? That optional articulating stand is another several hundred dollars brand new so it's not like a small thing to just ignore. I brought it up to him that I understand I got the item at a really good price but the principal still is that I didn't get everything that he described. He has not responded with any compromising offer and it's been 3 days. Will eBay be able to make this right which to me would be a partial refund?

Sorry, OP, but your item is not as described.  The seller will most like require a return, he pays shipping, and you must mail it within 5 days.  Then when tracking shows delivery, you will be refunded.

Seller does not seem to want to do a partial refund.  Ebay will not be able to make this right by forcing or providing a partial refund, that is not how this works.  The only thing you can do is either accept it as is, although I know you want a partial refund, or open the case and return for your money back.  

You can leave appropriate feedback.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@tuck.timo,

Castlemagic is right.  ebay's buyer protections do not extend to forcing a seller to give a partial refund.  You can only request that they do that, and the seller does not have to agree.  You already admit to getting a good deal for the tablet alone,  so it is unlikely the seller will agree to giving you an even better deal because they made a mistake. 

That means your options are limited. You can open a dispute for not as described ask for a partial, and if the seller does not want to do that, they will likely ask you to return the tablet for a full refund, and pay for the return shipping. 

Have you tried searching ebay to see if you can get a good deal on an articulating stand? Who knows maybe someone is selling a good used one at a decent price, letting you still come out ahead.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You say that your purchase happens to be  a really good deal.

However you were induced to buy by expecting an even better deal than what you received.

Ask yourself, is it very likely that you can get a even better deal than what you now have in your possession?

If no, be happy with what you have, and didn' t overpay for what you have received.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I really dislike the answer that you got a really good deal. There are plenty of really good deals on ebay and elsewhere. I do not have the funds or the need for most of them, so when I purchase an item I expect it to be exactly as descibed in the listing. Sending any old good deal is not acceptable.

With that said, your options are limited. Ebay will not force the seller to do a partial refund. It's either full refund on return or nothing. If the seller were smart, he would have offered you some compensation. It sounds like you are mostly satisfied with the item so he could have done a reasonable amount that might not have allowed you to purchase the stand but at least ackowledged that you didn't get what you paid for. A return will cost him shipping both ways, he loses the sale, and possibly fees so it would be wiser for him to do the partial on his own.

What I would do at this point is open a not as described case in the resolution center. Sellers take that much more seriously than a message from a buyer. You will have a chance to communicate with the seller within the case, which may be reviewed by ebay later. Do not mention feedback at all. Just tell him what you think is a fair resolution for both of you. Do not demand or threaten. Be courteous and professional. He may be willing to negotiate once he realizes that a return would cost him more.. If not, ebay will provide you with a label to return the item to the seller at his expense. You can decide at that point whether you wish to return it or not.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

ebay can't force a partial refund from the seller.

So, if you don't want to return the item, and the seller doesn't want to issue a partial, the only thing you can do is slip the seller a carefully worded neg feedback..

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@felifoll wrote:

I really dislike the answer that you got a really good deal. There are plenty of really good deals on ebay and elsewhere. I do not have the funds or the need for most of them, so when I purchase an item I expect it to be exactly as descibed in the listing. Sending any old good deal is not acceptable.

In contrast:  A seller recently attributed success on ebay to 

I don't care if my buyer gets a good deal. The worse the deal is for the buyer, the better the deal is for me.

In the instant case, this OP admits having a really good deal in what he has received. 

As an experienced buyer on ebay, I have learned reality is, to not expect perfection.

This buyer can choose to file a SNAD &, return for a refund.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

It is not expecting perfection to be upset that an item worth several hundred dollars is missing. 

It doesn't matter what the OP paid or what the item is worth. It is not unreasonable to expect to receive all of the items listed. 

I sold an item for $65 valued at $150. When the buyer received it, he pointed out something that was different from what I described and he was correct. He still liked the item and wanted to keep it so I offered him $5. He accepted and left me great feedback. It cost me much less than a return and I had a happy, repeat buyer. A seller can and should issue a partial refund in circumstances where they clearly made a mistake, even a symbolic amount can make the buyer feel satisfied. "You got a great deal, so what if it's not what I said it was" is not helpful.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You are entitled to receive the item, as described, or made whole.  That's what the Money Back Guarantee covers.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@felifoll wrote:

With that said, your options are limited. Ebay will not force the seller to do a partial refund. It's either full refund on return or nothing. If the seller were smart, he would have offered you some compensation. It sounds like you are mostly satisfied with the item so he could have done a reasonable amount that might not have allowed you to purchase the stand but at least ackowledged that you didn't get what you paid for. A return will cost him shipping both ways, he loses the sale, and possibly fees so it would be wiser for him to do the partial on his own.

What I would do at this point is open a not as described case in the resolution center. Sellers take that much more seriously than a message from a buyer. You will have a chance to communicate with the seller within the case, which may be reviewed by ebay later. Do not mention feedback at all. Just tell him what you think is a fair resolution for both of you. Do not demand or threaten. Be courteous and professional. He may be willing to negotiate once he realizes that a return would cost him more.. If not, ebay will provide you with a label to return the item to the seller at his expense. You can decide at that point whether you wish to return it or not.

IIRC, they have removed the option to communicate in a case, and I don't think a partial is an option when you open it, either.

Hopefully someone will confirm or deny.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@felifoll wrote: 

When the buyer received it, he pointed out something that was different from what I described and he was correct. He still liked the item and wanted to keep it so I offered him $5. He accepted and left me great feedback. It cost me much less than a return ........

From reading these boards I get the impression that partial refunds are being highly discouraged,regardless

if the problem was created by and cleary is the seller's fault. 

The solution given is tell your buyer, return for refund.

Not make the sale, offer buyer a partial, that will be lower than your expense for shipping on the SNAD.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sold something to a guy in England.  I packed a wrong item in the lot and left something out.  My issue.  He emailed me, I told him keep the item.  I would get the item left out to him at a cost to me.  My problem, not his.  I will eat about 40 bucks on this transaction but once again it is my problem, not his.  That is how you have to see it.  WIth the stand, a decent seller would say, oh, crud, my problem, I will make this right.  With the exception of cats, dogs, kids and dimes if it is in the picture it is usually included.  On occasion I have offered to send the kid.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply