cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller called my personal number

Seller called my personal instead of answering through messages  isn’t that against policy?

there used to be a policy where eBay wouldn’t let sellers call you . I never gave the seller my number unless they  wrote it down from the shipping label which is weird  but they  dropped shipped from Amazon.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I can see a buyers phone number on my sales details but really don't pay attention to it or have a need to use it. I would see no reason a seller would need to call you unless they are trying to get you to take some part of the sale off ebay? Now I'm curious as to why they called lol 

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Oh and how do you know it was really your seller??

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I have over 25,000 sales and have never,   ever,   called one of my buyers.    Nor have I ever felt that 

I needed to.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@taystev15 wrote:

Seller called my personal instead of answering through messages  isn’t that against policy?

there used to be a policy where eBay wouldn’t let sellers call you . I never gave the seller my number unless they  wrote it down from the shipping label which is weird  but they  dropped shipped from Amazon.

Not against policy at all, as a matter of fact ebay gives sellers all of your contact information when a sale is made. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@taystev15,

I can't think of a reason why a seller would call you, unless there had been a problem.  I almost 20 years of selling on ebay, never once did I ever feel the need to call a buyer. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I basically tried to to put the tracking number into usps and I told the seller through eBay messenger that it never showed tracking data they should of replied through ebay 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

It feels odd to not use eBay 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Once you have a transaction with someone on eBay it is then possible to find their phone number through the website. It is not against eBay policy. Even if they did call your personal number there really is no harm done.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I recently had a small order going to Georgia (Formerly of the USSR)   The buyer is in 

the UK and it was purchased on the UK ebay site. 

The buyer wanted me to add a phone # to the shipping label as the local 

PO needs it,  Or wants it,   for whatever.

When he tried to ebay message me the phone number he got warned by ebay 'about sharing

personal contact info.

Against the rules or Not.   Even if ebay allows a seller to phone the buyer or 

vice-versa,    I can't imagine why it would be needed.    Online should stay online.   

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

eBay actually gives buyer and seller that info when transaction takes place

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

That is inaccurate. eBay does not have a written record when they use personal texting instead of the message supplied. They have no right to call and text. I just had a seller behave politely through the messaging. They called and asked me to give them a second chance and also requested that I revise the feedback. I did so because I went by what they said in the phone call. Turns out, they then did not follow through and instead of responding to my message in eBay, they starting texting me. They lied, mocked me and taunted me. I have screen shots and I will spend forever trying to get ahold of someone from eBay so that I can show them and report the seller, but I don’t think they would’ve spoken this way at this stage within the eBay messaging system. So, yes harm can be done. Plus, it’s called a personal line for a reason. It’s inappropriate. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply