cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Sold Item I was Bidding On?

There was an item a seller was selling, I told him to hold on selling it until I got paid (2 weeks). He ignored my eMail and continued to relist it every week and it didnt sell every week, so when the auction time got to when I could afford it, I placed a bid.

ive had my bid on this item all week and just now with 1 day left he tells me that he sold it on facebook and he contacted the buyer to see if the buyer will sell it back to him.   he then says if the buyer refuses to return it he will have to cancel the auction.

is there anything i can do in this situation?  this is about the 7th item i've attempted to buy in 4 months that the seller never shipped. something has happened to eBay and it's got more scammers on it now or what

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

You can fill this screen out if you want.  eBay can not make the seller sell the item.

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

Choose

The seller has violated one of eBay’s policies

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@unemployed_husky,

"ive had my bid on this item all week and just now with 1 day left he tells me that he sold it on facebook and he contacted the buyer to see if the buyer will sell it back to him". 

Chances are the real reason the auction was ended is that the seller did not want to sell the item for its opening bid price. If they cancelled your bid and ended the auction more that 12 hours before it ended, they can do that legally by ebay rules, so there would be nothing to report. If they wait until the auction ends and then cancel, that can be reported.

Did you check the seller's feedback profile before bidding?  It sounds to me like they could be a new or very inexperienced seller.  They may have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but it could all be for buying, at least in the last year.  An experienced seller would know to cancel your bid and end the auction.  An experienced seller may also have blocked you after receiving your note telling them to hold off on listing the item until you could afford it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

You certainly know that the seller did nothing wrong, right?

You "told" him to hold on selling? Did you mean to say "asked" or "requested"?

So in the past few months, you have "attempted" to buy? Or used your approach of asking the seller to hold it? When you say the seller never shipped, does that mean you actually bought but never received items? I am sure you knew about opening an INR case, right? 

The highest bidder is the one who gets the item, not the potential buyer who asks that a seller wait til he gets paid, and you know that also, right?

Your obvious experience and your statement here seem somewhat at odds.  

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@unemployed_husky wrote

....  this is about the 7th item i've attempted to buy in 4 months that the seller never shipped. something has happened to eBay ...

Buyer loyalty

It is a wonder, despite so manny recent disappointments, you haven't given up

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

With 32 bid retractions on your record It is not surprising that sellers do not wish to complete a sale with you.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

With 32 bid retractions on your record It is not surprising that sellers do not wish to complete a sale with you.

The OP would be better off bidding in the last 10 seconds then the seller won't have time to cancel. I would also suggest they don't use the word "unemployed" in their user name, that could send the wrong vibes too.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

i asked him to.  and the 7 sellers were different sellers, not the same one.

there is no highest bidder because there is no bidders period. he is selling something nobody wants and it keeps being relisted with no bids. and i did not ask him to hold it, i asked him to not dispose of it.  i know how sellers are, the second it doesn't sell they ragequit and throw it in the garbage bin.   no sale has been made, this is an open auction that hasnt ended yet.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

those are because of fraudsters and kids that bid $10 items up to $300+ and then never pay for it which forces the seller to relist the item after 2-3 weeks. this happens on a weekly basis if you ever used eBay. i pay for every item I bid on. so nice try.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

the people on this forum are something else, i swear. you were all born yesterday or something. i've been on ebay since 2005. when people made funny usernames and curated accounts to what they sell, not "first name bunch of numbers" bot accounts.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

oh i'm ready to. ebay gets worse and worse every month and the answers people reply with on this forum proves it.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

"You certainly know that the seller did nothing wrong, right?"

Selling an item outside of eBay that is listed and active on eBay is a violation of eBay policy.  It should be a requirement that you know eBay rules to comment here.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

eBay has changed. It used to be you were not allowed to list simultaneously but that was crazy because eBay can't  stop someone from doing that, thus, now it's not a violation. They caution you because you could end up with an out of stock defect if it sells elsewhere and you don't  end the listing quick enough and end up with it sold on eBay, too.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You have a horrific resume when it comes to the feedback you have left for others. People are going to see that sea of red and not want to sell to you. Probably explains a lot of issues you've been having and why people are canceling on you.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@unemployed_husky wrote:

ive had my bid on this item all week and just now with 1 day left he tells me that he sold it on facebook 

is there anything i can do in this situation?  

That is a eBay violation that is reportable with the link provided you earlier in post #2. 

eBay may consider this to be Fee Avoidance and charge the buyer the Fees that would have been charged had you purchased the item.

All these other interactions does not matter.  They told you six days after you had a bid on it they sold it to someone else.  This is all that matters.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply