cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seized by USPS for cntrft pstg

Tracking update I've never seen before.  Just an item I ordered on December 17.  

I'm not sure about the abbreviation but it looks like "counterfeit postage" to me. 😳

First expected delivery date was December 23 and it looked like it would happen.  It got to my distribution center on the 22nd.  But then it went all the way back to New Jersey and back to my distribution center on the 27th.  But instead of continuing on it ended up in Indianapolis on the 29th.  About an hour ago it got the new status I had never seen before.

I'm not worried on my end, I know I can get a refund with INR but I thought I would share.  And wonder out loud how the package could have valid tracking and counterfeit postage?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Seized by USPS for cntrft pstg

@khetzel wrote:

Also in this case the seller has very good feedback, something like 99.7% with 55,000+ positives.  My initial reaction is to blame Hysan LLC, although I had never heard of them before a few hours ago.

The seller is from china though, another red flag, so I wouldn't be too sure who is to blame.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Hysan LLC sounds Chinese to me as well.  I'm still giving this seller the benefit of the doubt until/unless he gives me reason not to.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

@khetzel wrote:

Also in this case the seller has very good feedback, something like 99.7% with 55,000+ positives.  My initial reaction is to blame Hysan LLC, although I had never heard of them before a few hours ago.

The seller is from china though, another red flag, so I wouldn't be too sure who is to blame.

Maybe they're using those Forever Stamps from China? 😀

Have a great day
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Seller issued me a refund without commenting on the counterfeit postage.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@khetzel,

"Also in this case the seller has very good feedback, something like 99.7% with 55,000+ positives. My initial reaction is to blame Hysan LLC, although I had never heard of them before a few hours ago."

I had never heard of Hysan LLC before I saw the info you posted in a reply. They have terrible reviews and seem to be used by Chinese sellers, like yours who give item location in the U.S. (N.J. in this case) but ship from a different location.

Your seller may have a 99.7% rating, but did you check their feedback profile page?  They are registered in China, About half of the Neutral feedback they received should be negatives. If they were counted as negs their percentage would be in the 98% range, not very good for a high volume ebay seller.  One of the comments does mention USPS pulling an item for counterfeit postage.

This may have happened to more buyers, but if they try to leave a negative after getting a refund, It will be pulled or they won't be able to post a neg.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@khetzel wrote:

I'm not worried on my end, I know I can get a refund with INR but I thought I would share.  And wonder out loud how the package could have valid tracking and counterfeit postage?

I would not count too heavily on ebay's INR system in this matter. Initially it will be handled by a computer and the claim may be denied, so you would have to appeal it. 

I would not give any weight at all to this continued misguidance.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

I'm glad the seller made the OP whole by refunding.

My initial reaction to the Label being claimed counterfeit by USPS?  My thought was 

an employee error at the USPS.      

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Are we now going to see counterfeit shipping labels in addition to counterfeit goods 

from China?    

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

I'm glad the seller made the OP whole by refunding.

My initial reaction to the Label being claimed counterfeit by USPS?  My thought was 

an employee error at the USPS.      

That possibility can't be ruled out, although this Hysan LLC outfit sounds sketchy as hell.

I mainly say possible after reading that Q&A article about counterfeit postage on the USPS site.  'How can we tell?' 'We have ways of knowing, that's all.  We won't tell you how because secret sources and methods.  Our decision is unquestionable, final, and irreversible.  The item is gone forever.'

I would just say if they have ways of knowing, it would make more sense not to transport it halfway across the country 3 full times over 12 days before deciding they shouldn't be transporting it.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@khetzel wrote:

I would just say if they have ways of knowing, it would make more sense not to transport it halfway across the country 3 full times over 12 days before deciding they shouldn't be transporting it. 

It might be that the fake equipment is at "the end end" of those round trips, and not yet rolled out system-wide. The end end says fake send it back, and the start end says looks good ship it.

Like the equipment to photo letters and packages was not yet available everywhere at first.

Another low-grade example might be mail marked RETURN TO SENDER keeps coming back, because the equipment can still read the IMb barcode across the bottom of the mailpiece as it wasn't also blacked out.

If you type in a tracking number at USPS.com then keep increasing that numerical value, you'll eventually hit another tracking number that's also valid. The counterfeiter might be doing that, finding valid tracking numbers to print as a barcode, which were never purchased.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply