cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed, what to do?

cenitta
Adventurer

A few minutes after my friend bought an item from a seller in China and paid for it, eBay sent her a notice that the listing has been deleted. 

she can not longer view the item, however,  she discovered that the seller copied a completed listing  from a USA seller (winning bid $335+Shipping $15.83)  and set up the sales,  its a large lot of 33 vintage Barbie dolls made in early 1960s to 1993.  Its impossible that another seller would have the same lot  in the same condition.  (not to mention these dolls were never retailed in China)

She filed a dispute with eBay, now she  has to wait for  3 days to have eBay's "verdict".

I told her to call eBay ASAP, but she believes eBay will give her money back after 3 days.   is it true?  what if the seller sends an empty envelop and proves the item is delivered, will she get her money back?

What's the best way to handle a situation like this? any tips and suggestions are welcome.  thanks.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Scammed, what to do?

If eBay sent the buyer a message that the seller is no longer a registered user, she has to ask Paypal for a refund, citing to them that the seller is NARU.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Your friend is right.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

what kind of dispute did your friend open?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The seller is no longer on eBay.  my friend  bought the item  on eBay yesterday,  the item is also deleted, nowhere to be found. 

we just found out on Facebook,   the seller sold the same  item  to other buyers, too.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

If the seller is NARU, the item number is not going to show up in a search.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

you are right, pburn, both the seller & item are deleted, they are nowhere to be found

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Did she make her purchase on ebay.com? Or on one of the European or UK sites? If she did, their rules may vary from the North American site, and she should ask her questions on one of their discussion boards.

She should have received an email from eBay explaining her options. She should follow those instructions. That being said, she should be able to call eBay and have the refund expedited based on the fact that the seller has been NARU'd.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

yes, she bought the item on eBay.com

the seller from China listed it here.  the US eBay is the best site to sell "collectible dolls".

she will call eBay. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Hi @cenitta have you heard back, was eBay able to escalate to file for a refund right away, cutting short the 3 business days wait?

Be aware if plural you had opened a PayPal dispute instead -- if you didn't realize you can still start a refund request when eBay has removed an item -- you'd have to wait up to 7 days to escalate, and then PayPal gives the seller 10 days to respond, before forcing a refund the next day: A total of 18 days for a refund.

That's much longer than the 3 business days at eBay.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Sorry about your friend.I think I remember seeing this lot.This has been going on for a few months.They copy and paste a completed auction with photos and sell for cheaper price.They are from China and have a 0 feedback score. These usually come on late at night but the last couple of days they have come online during the day....several today and I have reported all that I saw.I have been reporting everyone I see hoping they get taken down before someone buys.Once it is taken down they list another item under a different seller name with 0 feedback from China.Their seller names are always letters and #'s....like zxcvbn654321.I wish ebay could block their IP address or something to stop this.I hope your friend gets their money back.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am having trouble with a dishonest seller right now, who is in State of Connecticut.  I usually stay away from buying from China, except a few things. So far, a few Chinese seller have been good, I am happy with them despite it takes so long to be delivered to me. Sometimes, it took so long, I even forget what I had ordered. I have noticed they do not list honest posting, especially high dollar items such as fur coats. For example, they advertise as " Real genuine mink fur coat". However, when I ask them by email, most of time they replied as, "No, it is man made".  Then, why they post them as " Real genuine mink fur coat"? I don't get it!

I have been experiencing a lot of them. Therefore, I stay away from them. I hope your friend gets good result from eBay.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't your friend join the discussion?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I have reported this fraud & scammer.They have been on ebay everyday for months.Ebay has opened an investigation & are going to block their IP Address. YES! 🙂

Message 15 of 16
latest reply