cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Sellers protected

I just bought a ridiculously fake 4tb hard drive. It was a 64gb chip with a fake 4tb controller. Useless. Ebay does not allow you to flag a seller for counterfeit goods, nor do they accept reports of fraud.

And there are many , many,sellers selling these drives on ebay.
   Ebay is just allowing them to sell this non working junk, in hopes people will not have the time to do a return.

I am in the process of returning mine. I am sure the seller will not pay, and ill have to file a further complaint.  But its the principle of the thing not the money.

And until ebay stops allowing foreigners in New York to rob it’s customers, ill be doing my shopping elsewhere.  What other shenanigans will i have to deal with, shopping on ebay.

They have lost all my confidence, as of late.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Scam Sellers protected

The Ebay Money Back Guarantee allows you to file a claim and receive a refund.

Too many refunds and the Seller is NARUed.

There is a special more restrictive metric for sellers based outside the US

Just follow the directions. And remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Scam Sellers protected

"I just bought a ridiculously fake 4tb hard drive. It was a 64gb chip with a fake 4tb controller."

Did you recognize that hard drive's fakeness just from the photo(s) in the listing ? 
Could you tell from the listing that the 4tb controller was fake ?

If so -- why on earth did you buy it ??  

Maybe it is, as you said, "foreigners in New York" who listed a fake item which you chose to purchase.  Every listing shows the item's location.  What could make you think any seller is a "foreigner" ?  Maybe you should just not buy anything from any seller whose items are located in New York.  Maybe if you don't buy anything on eBay that is located anywhere in the entire state of New York, kind of boycotting the entire state, you can avoid being scammed again.  

As the ancient Romans used to say, caveat emptor.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Scam Sellers protected

Coming from China, did you really think it would be legit?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Scam Sellers protected

@therrien5417,

"Ebay is just allowing them to sell this non working junk, in hopes people will not have the time to do a return.  I am in the process of returning mine. I am sure the seller will not pay, and ill have to file a further complaint".

eBay cannot possibly vet the millions of new listings posted from sellers around the world each day.  Therefore, you need to do your due diligence both before and after making a purchase.

Before making a purchase, you need to check each seller's feedback profile page, look for the seller's country of registry,  and click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback they've received to read only those comments. Never go by their feedback percentage alone.  FYI a higher volume seller with a 96.1% rating, should have had you immediately hitting the back button, without going any further. 

After receiving an item, if it is not as described, you file an item not as described dispute. The seller will have 3 days to provide you with a return shipping label. If they do not on day 4 you ask ebay to step in. eBay gives people enough time to take a package to a shipper, or schedule pickup from their location.  Once the item is delivered the seller has a couple of days to refund. All of that is spelled out in the terms of their Money Back Guarantee (MBG) which is something every buyer should familiarize them selves with. After 18 years on ebay, you should know how it works.  There's no reason to report a seller or an item. If you file disputes it is recorded on their account. 

"And until ebay stops allowing foreigners in New York to rob it’s customers, ill be doing my shopping elsewhere. What other shenanigans will i have to deal with, shopping on ebay".

The foreign, mostly sellers actually located in China, who list item locations from NYC,  N.J. Ca. and other states often have feedback comments about slow shipping or items coming from outside the U.S.. as well as comments about poor quality, unbranded...  items. If the seller's responses to those feedback look like they're written by a person whose first language isn't english. that's a clue.

As for reporting items, it usually takes more than one complaint from different members, before they will take action. eBay does have a responsibility to protect the sellers from false claims or ones from people not qualified to make a claim.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Scam Sellers protected

All you need to do is open an item not as described case and follow the prompts.

Not sure why you believe the seller won't pay.  He has no choice in the matter.  He can either refund upon  receipt of the returned  item or eBay can refund you from his account and let you keep the item. 

eBay has no way to verify the truthfulness of every listing.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Scam Sellers protected

Open a return and make that the item was not as described.  The more that a seller receives these types of returns, the more ebay will get notified of a poor seller.  Also be sure to leave negative feedback.  If the seller is "fit***" then their feedback states they sell junk.  With a feedback score of 98.1%, I would always read the negative and neutral feedback left before I would make a purchase from a seller with a rating that low.

There are issues on most selling platforms, including the largest in the world.  Fakes and scammers are all around us that's why you need to be diligent - read feedback/reviews and if it sounds too good to be true, then move on and find a more true deal.

Don't give up on ebay and please don't put all New York sellers into the same bucket.

Tamralynn (a NY seller)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply