cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOURCE OF PURCHASE

Why is it that when you look at the source of a purchase and it indicates, such as,  it is in New Jersey and you place an order expecting a reasonable time for delivery from that source, within a week to ten days,  and they provide a routing number the routing number comes from overseas and not within the United States and the expected delivery date is over two week out?  If a produce is available and in stock I expect the delivery to be made as soon as possible.  I purchase an Item on Feb 18th and this is the 26th of Feb and the item indicates it still has not shipped.  What is with that?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: SOURCE OF PURCHASE

The "US only" item location filter selects items that are listed as being in the United States; however, as you may have seen, not every seller that lists items in the US ships from the US as they should. You can report such sellers for item location misrepresentation, but until eBay actually cracks down, your best course of action is to avoid such sellers entirely.

Before ordering you should check the estimated delivery dates -- that is usually a good indication of how far away items actually ship from. Also, going to a seller's profile page or feedback page will tell you where the seller's account was registered. If a seller is registered overseas, that raises the likelihood of an item shipping from outside the US, particularly for multiple quantity commodity items. Checking seller feedback will often reveal if there are problems with long shipping times, canceled orders or other supply chain warning signs.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Every regular eBay listing includes an estimated delivery date.

When a buyer makes a purchase, he needs to check that date and to decide if he is willing to wait that long before he buys.  

Also, there is no requirement that the seller ship immediately.  His only requirement in that regard is to get the item to the buyer by that time or a day or so after. If that doesn't happen, the buyer can open an INR case.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Every regular eBay listing includes an estimated delivery date.

@soh.maryl 

Do you know if the published estimated delivery date is affected by the fact the item is actually going to be shipped from China, and not the US as stated?  

I have seen quite a few listings with the claim for internationally based seller IDs that they "work with suppliers in the US, but occasionally when out of stock they will ship direct from the manufacturer".  

The "occasionally" in this sense appears to be ALWAYS, and wonder if the ebay algorithm would reflect such. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Do you know if the published estimated delivery date is affected by the fact the item is actually going to be shipped from China, and not the US as stated?

I dimly recall an old thread where a seller was having problems with delivery estimates being shown as consistently too soon for the actual shipping choices, causing needless buyer disappointment. After the seller indicated a number of different fruitless changes to things like handling time in an attempt to alter the dates displayed, someone from eBay pointed out that the estimates shown were based on actual past sale and delivery data from the seller's transactions.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Yes. A couple of months back I purchased an item from a Japanese seller. The estimated delivery date was around a month later, even though the package actually arrived in about a week.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

There are Chinese sellers who do have warehouses in the US for shipping to US buyers.

Have always been told that the EDD in any listing reflects the true estimated delivery date, no matter where the package is originating.

That's why those who answer questions here almost always tell those who inquire that an estimated delivery date of 3 wks or a month or more nearly always indicates that the shipment will not come from the US.  For instance, if I order today and the EDD is March 26th, I can be fairly certain of the shipping site.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply