cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received with missing pieces, how to respond? Neutral feedback?

eBay item number: 124885379414

This arrived with the train's windshields missing. They are often missing, and not easy to find. I asked seller if they had been overlooked; seller responded by telling me that ebay recommended that I send pics of the box being unpacked. Huh? A very close look at the listing pic shows that they were not snapped into place, and could have fallen off.

My response was to ask for the pics that show the box being packed. Still have not seen them, seller says

"There isnt much else I can do on my end without a case being opened.  This is what the ebay representative told me. I'm sorry I cant be of more help." 

That seems like a somewhat irresponsible attude to me. I sell also, and have fixed any problems without involving ebay.

Bottom line, I don't really want to open a case, or return .  Also taking into account slow shipping and communication, is neutral feedback appropriate? Neg bomb seems pretty harsh.

Thank you all for your time.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Received with missing pieces, how to respond? Neutral feedback?

If you don't want to open a case or return, then perhaps leaving no feedback at all would be appropriate.  If the seller mentioned your opening a case, but you don't want to, that's on you.  

BTW, the seller either misunderstood or out and out lied about eBay recommending you send pictures of the box being unpacked.  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Open the case...there's nothing inherently negative about doing so.

That said, the linkage to do this isn't that obvious these days.

Could the windshields still be inside the train?

Is it possible you overlooked them in the packaging?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Thank you so much for your reply!

Unfortunately, I am leaning toward the falsehood explanation: ebay saying to ask buyer for pics, and 'nothing I can do'. I asked twice for the pics of the box being packed, but seller never responded directly to that, either to supply them or admit that they do not exist.  Add to that a week or more to respond, and it seems that a warning to others might be in order. 

My impression is that this person is a casual seller who packed in a hurry, made a mistake, and is trying to cover or deflect rather than accept responsibility.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!

These trains are pretty big, about 4 inches wide. I had hoped that they had wiggled loose somewhere inside, but no dice.

As for opening a case, isn't returning the item the only resolution now available?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Generally, if you open a case, you are wanting to actually return the item for a full refund.

If that's not your goal, or if the seller does not offer a partial refund, don't see any point in opening a case.

Again, there is no eBay requirement that either seller or buyer post pictures.  And couldn't a seller photograph himself packing the box, then afterwards remove something from the box?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

That's what it seems like - but I think "Return Item" can still result in a compromise or partial refund...but the possible outcomes are not clear from the way the link is labeled. 

I just dealt with this last night, ended up just giving the buyer a partial refund from the "Order Details" link.

And yes, people are loathe to admit their own mistakes. I was a little peeved at first when I received this complaint...but at the end of the day, it was my mistake for not testing that feature.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Open a case as not as described.  Then if the seller does not take care of it, you can leave feedback. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@johnny52nva 

Johnny have you checked everywhere like the inside of the train and all the packaging, even the folds of the box? Geez that's too bad but is this something you can live without and just make up a story like the train was hit by a flock of seagulls?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@johnny52nva ,

"This arrived with the train's windshields missing. They are often missing, and not easy to find...A very close look at the listing pic shows that they were not snapped into place, and could have fallen off".

There are "windshields" at each end of the train. If what you are calling the windshields are the passenger  compartment covers. They are not in the photos and the description says:

"Incomplete but has lots of extras! Pictures are the best description. Please contact with any questions".  

The time to look closely at the photos was before you bought the item, and if you had a question that was the time to ask as well.  If you received everything in the photos, and file a dispute you will probably lose it because of the photos and description.   If photos do not show all the parts of an item in them, you cannot assume they are included. 

"Bottom line, I don't really want to open a case, or return .  Also taking into account slow shipping and communication, is neutral feedback appropriate? Neg bomb seems pretty harsh".

Leaving a neutral or negative for not doing your due diligence would be wrong, and it would really hurt a first time seller, another thing you should have checked before buying. That was probably why they were slow to ship.  ebay places a hold on all new sellers first payments, and many do not find out about it until their first sale.  If you did receive what was pictured, a positive would be appropriate or leave no feedback at all. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The end windshields were missing on arrival. RC train2.jpgThey are what I am referring to, not the other missing windows, which I did note prior to purchase.

Should have attached this pic to original post. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@johnny52nva ,

Your reply clears things up.  You can ignore the reply from the seller about photos of you opening the box.  They may have wrapped the two pieces in some packing material and you missed them, so you should check the stuff from the box, before taking any actions.  You may want to message them again asking if they did that and what they used to wrap the pieces in.  Hopefully, since receiving the item your trash day hasn't come and gone. 

If the windshields are not in with the packing material, open an Item Not As Described dispute through eBay.  The seller will have 3 days to respond and you sending photos is not a requirement if they ask for them. They will have to provide a return shipping label and once tracking shows delivery you will get a refund within 3-5 days on average.  If they start making excuses or denying the claim, use the Ask ebay to step in button. eBay sides with buyers 99.9% of the time. 

Depending on how the seller responds to the dispute process you can decide what type of feedback they deserve.  Do keep in mind this was the seller's first listing ever, and newbies tend to make a mess of things and not know how ebay's selling and dispute processes work.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

That really does clear things up a tad, I thought Johnny was talking about an old Lionel train.

OP,  muddy gave you very good advice as those windows are kinda important  to the overall look of this toy.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!

Doing nothing is the best option. In this case, I will keep what I did get and be happy with it; this particular train is somewhat rare.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply